Ercol armchairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need help! I'm completely new to the world of restoration ... but am willing and able to learn. I have purchased two Ercol armchairs in a dark finish from a car boot sale. The arms have been sanded back so are much lighter and smoother than the rest of the chair. I want to achieve the best finish possible (whatever shade this will be), and need some guidance on how to achieve this. All the research I have done has given me conflicting advice ... so I hope this is the forum to get a final answer.

Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Your furniture is likely to be elm, so I'd go for a coloured danish oil to get the colour....maybe in the walnut range. I'd also try the colours on some scrap timber first!
John :)

sorry to be pedantic re. the last poster but ercol just about always uses elm for seats and table/ sideboard tops only. Everything else is usually beech which is spray finished with a dark finish. If the arms have been sanded, you need to sand the rest of it all in equal measure. Work down the abrasive grades to about 240g then finish with a clear polish. eg For diy use - polyurathane thinned with white spirit, wiped on with cloth and rubbed off x 3 applications or better still but less durable, use shellac sanding sealer, apply with brush 2 costs and rub down with 0000 wire wool when hard and then wax. Try to like a natural and light finish becuase to stain beech will make it go very dirty looking....

Sponsored Links
Yes an armchair will be beech though the seat may be elm. I'd sand back then apply hardwax oil, followed by wax.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back