Essex flange immersion boss problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Immersion element kapput on my cylinder. The lower one (11"). I tested the stat and it was clicking on n off, so definately the element that has gone.
It's fitted on an Essex flange.
Borrowed a heptagonal box spanner to loosen the immersion but only succeeded in loosening the Essex flange. The Essex flange clamping nut is approximately the same diameter as the immersion BUT it is hexagonal not heptagonal. :confused:
Are thin hex spanners available for Essex flanges? I can then perhaps lock the flange nut while I work away at loosening the immersion??

The Essex flange I have worked loose enough to possibly but also very carefully grind off the front and if I have to fit a new flange; so be it, especially if it turns out to be too much like hard work with no garauntee of succes in loosening the immersion.

Is this a common problem???

I really dont want to have to go through all this againg 10, 15 20 years down the line when the damn thing goes again :cry:

Also no drain off fitted and no timer fitted.
I've already fitted a drain off but any suggestions regarding fitting a timer next to the cylinder would also be appreciated.
Is it OK to remove the fuse holder, put in a 1 gang socket and put a segment timer on with the immersion lead into a 13 amp rated pulg?? The missus keeps forgetting to turn the damn thing off and it must be costing us a fortune.

Sponsored Links
Immersion element kapput on my cylinder. The lower one (11"). I tested the stat and it was clicking on n off, so definately the element that has gone.
You can't conclude that it's the element just by testing the 'stat. :rolleyes:

It's fitted on an Essex flange.
Borrowed a heptagonal box spanner to loosen the immersion but only succeeded in loosening the Essex flange. The Essex flange clamping nut is approximately the same diameter as the immersion BUT it is hexagonal not heptagonal. :confused:
Are thin hex spanners available for Essex flanges? I can then perhaps lock the flange nut while I work away at loosening the immersion??

The Essex flange I have worked loose enough to possibly but also very carefully grind off the front and if I have to fit a new flange; so be it, especially if it turns out to be too much like hard work with no garauntee of succes in loosening the immersion.

Is this a common problem???
I have to confess to not understanding pretty much all of that.

any suggestions regarding fitting a timer next to the cylinder would also be appreciated.
Is it OK to remove the fuse holder, put in a 1 gang socket and put a segment timer on with the immersion lead into a 13 amp rated pulg?
It's not great, because it's a high load in a warm place. It would be much better to fit one of these:

...or one of the other products on that page.

The missus keeps forgetting to turn the damn thing off and it must be costing us a fortune.
Why is the lower element not on Economy 7/10?

The property was inherited and basically everything was a real mess. Old maiden aunt bequethed. My fault the essex flange into which the immersion was screwed had a 6 sided locking nut on front. The immersion of course is octaganal not 7 sided as I said in previous post. Bought a pair of oil filter plies to grip the flange lock nut whilst I worked on the imersion. Played a little flame over the threads to loosen what looked (presumably) like boss white.
Still not succes so carefully worked out out the whole flange, immersion and all.
The immersion had completely corroded away and had been obviously knackered for some time. So now either I'll attempt to make good. Or bite the bullet and replace the lot. Especially if the top immersion is on its last legs and is as difficult to get out as the bottom 1.

Thanks for the reply Softus

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back