Estate Notices in Local and National Papers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am the Administrator of my late brothers estate which consists of cash only. No wife, children, owns no property or complicated investments. Probably as simple as it can get when submitting application for probate.

However he has a cash nest egg and from bank statements it is clear this cash has been accumulated over a period of time quite legitimately. His financial affairs are extremely uncomplicated.

We had very limited contact with him for the last 20 years. In view of this I have been advised to put an estate notice in The London Gazette and a Local paper just in case there are creditors I don't know about.

I understand if I do this and creditors turn up (which is highly unlikely but not impossible I suppose) it protects me as administrator and one of three beneficiaries of having to stump up the whole debt, and would only be liable for a third of it having taken reasonable steps to inform any interested parties. It costs about £300 but I suppose it would be like an insurance policy hope I don't need it, but it is there if I do. Belt and braces stuff.

I also suppose it would be reasonable to suggest just get it from the other two beneficiaries but if one of us pops off, and we are not spring chickens, our kids could say no!

If anyone with experience of this could help be most grateful.

Sponsored Links
i assume you have contacted all pension providers employers power providers council water etc

we didnt do the notificaction bit but my dad was a bit obsessive keeping paperwork in a folder some from 50 years ago

my suggestion would be put 10% in a high interest isa for 3 years and pretend you where unaware off the paper announcement

as an aside have you contacted any societies he may be a member off 1 to let them know and 2 incase theres any money owed or outstanding

i had to contact about 10 banks and building societies to get all my dads money sorted out

Yes all pensions and benefits stopped. Rang them all and followed it up with a letter and copy of interim death certificate.

Had refunds from all utility companies. Bank account I know about frozen. Just state pension overpaid by one week.

A recluse, didn't belong to any clubs led a simple life for the last few years.

I understand it is not advisable to publish an Estate Notice until a Probate Grant is issued so I have time to think about that. Submitted probate forms today by hand and got them checked so there isn't much I can do until I get a sealed grant, then I understand I can open an executors account and get these cheques paid in. His bank doesn't want to know about executors accounts but my bank will do it.

If beneficiaries are not paid within a year I understand they can claim interest.

Looked at the You.Gov for lost accounts site think I would need the grant for the search, I am 99.9% sure there isn't any.

Ok thanks. I will probably do the estate notice, can't hurt.

Sponsored Links
get several coppies of the death certificate and the probate form they are around 1-5 pound a copy dependant on area some people want the origional so you cant photocopy
death certificates although you call them copies they are actually copies off the entry in the book so they are individually numbered otherwise exactly the same
when youve finished you can give them to who ever wants them

probate are copies in black and white but with a franked stamp to authenticate them

some people want the origional some are happy with a copy

have thought about his end off year tax return
we got over £400 back from the tax man although the tax man will be in touch via the tax form submitted to the probate office

and remember there are some things you cannot do till you get probate like move assets

Back