Etesia pse very difficult to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks (and especially Burnerman :LOL: )

Recently picked up a 2001 PSE for £65 and, once it's going, it's great. Happily chomps through tall damp grass, even on the hill!

Getting it started is a pig, though, no matter whether it's hot or cold. The throttle cable works correctly and on "start" opens the butterfly valve up fully.
It does feel, physically, very difficult to start - sometimes it jams when I'm mid-pull, which is flippin' painful. Could it be something mechanical, like a bent shaft?

Does run absolutely fine once it's going - throttle control works well, and doesn't stall.

Cheers
Scott

Sponsored Links
Hi Scott
Are you certain the flywheel brake is fully releasing? If it isn't, is a pig to spin over. That's the first check!
John :)

Yep, that's the thing......basically it's a small brake shoe that stops the engine and brakes it when the GO handle is released. There's a very good chance your engine has one.
A sort of test.......tilt the mower back on the bars, having tied the GO handle to the run position.
Remove the plug cap!
By reaching under and turning the blade, it should turn easily if all is well.....you may feel when the engine is reaching compression too.
Ensure the oil level isn't too high at some point to avoid a hydraulic lock.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, John - appreciate the help!

So, not only have I think I located the flywheel brake, but I made a video :mrgreen:

Looks like the brake is working correctly, and is disengaging when I pull the trigger. I tried whirring it from the top, and from underneath (plug lead pulled) and I would say that the effort appears to be the same whether the brake is engaged or not.

It rotates around half a rev then there's a notable push as, I presume, it gets compression. Appreciate any other thoughts!

Cheers,
Scott

But if you take the spark plug out it should spin, freely, as John said?

I think some of the rugby lads use those two-strokes instead of the gym ...................

That seems like a perfectly good engine to me.......how does the recoil starter pull when it's off the motor, like now?
Would you say the starter cord is long enough?

Just thinking.......larger capacity two strokes often have an automatic decompressor fitted into the cylinder head.........does anyone know if this is the case with this machine? If it doesn't have one, then it's a bloody good pull needed to get it going......a bit of a case of showing it who is boss!

Good question re the recoil starter - I'll give that a shot.

So, is it not unusual that on some pulls the cord just seems to lock about half way out? It also takes a good few pulls to finally get it going.
Think I'll swap the plug for giggles and see whether that cheers it up, and I'll have a look at the recoil starter.

Cheers!

how clean is your air filter? don t know if the suzuki engine has the spark inhibitor but if thats starting to get dirty might do well with a little wet and dry.

i always get the easy start on mowers when they dont want to be helpful and work it out once its going

The principal factor for a two stroke to behave itself is compression.......if there's plenty then we are off to a good start (!)
A new plug is essential, and a clean air filter as stated will help greatly.
With yours, it does sound like a mechanical recoil fault if things are really locking up......there's not a great deal more it could be.

Success!

So it looks like I had two problems;

1) I replaced the spark plug and now, with fix #2, it starts first time
2) This was more interesting and was to do with the recoil starter "grabbing". Turns out that the cap on top of the engine block, onto which the recoil starter fits, was on too tight.

Looks like the vanes on the top of the shaft were snagging on that cap, fairly randomly (possibly to do with the angle I was pulling it).
I've simply loosened off the bolts and it now spins freely and, with the new spark plug, starts first time.

For the actual fix, my initial guess is that there should be spacers or washers underneath the cap. Or perhaps the cap is buckled and part of it is in the path of the rotor on top of the shaft.

But we're in the home straight, so mucho thanks to all for your suggestions :LOL: I'm now back to thinking I bought a bargain!

That seems like a perfectly good engine to me.......how does the recoil starter pull when it's off the motor, like now?
Would you say the starter cord is long enough?

Just on this point, sweet as a nut. Given that the blade spins pretty freely when the top was off the engine, that's what made me conclude that it was the link twixt recoil starter and top of the engine that was to blame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back