Ethernet cable connection to Orange Livebox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My girlfreind has just changed the connection from her PC to Livebox from Wireless to an ethernet cable. When you click the connection properties it says the speed is 100Mbps, however her son is convinced it is now taking longer to download files than it did with the wifi connection which was capable of sppeds upto 56Mbps.

Does anyone have any idea why the cable connection to the Livebox might be slower?

I have suggested he tries to download the file by ethernet and then again by Wifi to see which is quicker.

Sponsored Links
I have suggested he tries to download the file by ethernet and then again by Wifi to see which is quicker.

A good starting point, post the results...I don't know anything about Orange Liveboxes but do know wired and wireless networking so I'll help where I can.

Although the above is a starting point it's open to many ah buts...the main one being that broadband internet is involved....broadband means contention ratios, usually 50:1 for home users...the mere word Internet itself also can be attributed to no guarantee of service.

Do you see a difference if you connect the Ethernet to the Red or Yellow ports ?

Since the livebox doesn't appear to have a built in Ethernet Hub/Switch are you using an Ethernet cross over cable ? [/b]

i asked something vaguley similar as i get 100mbps connection speed but thought it cant be right, the answer is, it is right, but it only only between the pc and modem (in my case) thatsi s 100 mbps what the download speed is for the internet is another question

stuartinlancashire said:
Does anyone have any idea why the cable connection to the Livebox might be slower?
Because your girlfriend's son is mistaken.

Sponsored Links
I have an Oange Livebox with quite a few devices connected to it :mrgreen:

Both the wired and wireless network connections are quicker than your broadband line, so you wont find any difference between wired and wireless for internet use.

Having said that, when it comes to home network traffic, the wired connection is roughly twice the speed of the wired connection, although the bottle neck there is the speed of the devices attached to the network.

Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted of any further developments.

techwondo said:
I have an Oange Livebox with quite a few devices connected to it :mrgreen:

Both the wired and wireless network connections are quicker than your broadband line, so you wont find any difference between wired and wireless for internet use.

Having said that, when it comes to home network traffic, the wired connection is roughly twice the speed of the wired connection, although the bottle neck there is the speed of the devices attached to the network.

Technowondo you have just confirmed what I suspected before I posted.

stuartinlancashire said:
techwondo said:
Technowondo you have just confirmed what I suspected before I posted.
Really?! You suspected this?!

Clearly techwondo didn't write what he/she intended do, but you must be reading only what you want to read. :rolleyes:

This was the bit I suspected...

techwondo said:
I Both the wired and wireless network connections are quicker than your broadband line, so you wont find any difference between wired and wireless for internet use.

stuartinlancashire said:

techwondo said:
I Both the wired and wireless network connections are quicker than your broadband line, so you wont find any difference between wired and wireless for internet use.
This is wrong.

This is wrong.

So, which of the two wrong things did you suspect of being right? :rolleyes:

Softus said:
stuartinlancashire said:

techwondo said:
This is wrong.

This is wrong.

So, which of the two wrong things did you suspect of being right? :rolleyes:

Hang on.....

According to speedtest.net both my desktop (wired) and my laptop and PS3 (wireless) both score about the same speeds. Does that support that fact that a wired connection of 100mbps and a wireless connection of 53mbps makes no difference on an internet line of 5,400 mbps? The bottleneck is the internet line, not the wireless line.

Isnt that a bit like saying my car can only do 40mph flat out, but its the 70MPH speed limit thats keeping me at 40mph?

Surely the same can be said of the wired/wireless connection to a hub. It can only go as fast as its slowest connection.

techwondo said:
According to speedtest.net both my desktop (wired) and my laptop and PS3 (wireless) both score about the same speeds.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back