Where to connect ethernet cables?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Hoping for some advice on what best to do in this situation?

I have a BT engineer coming tomorrow to install Broadband.
I would like the router in the living room or shelf in hallway. However the computer will be in the loft room which is essentially the 3rd level of the house.

However the desktop computer has a fault and doesn't connect wirelessly. Only via a ethernet cable.

What are my options? Or best to do here?

Ask him to make an extra ethernet cable going up to the loft room?
Buy a new or repair issue with computer not connecting wirelessly?
Get some kind of device to connect computer wirelessly?

Any other better options?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
The BT guy won't run ethernet for you. He'll just plug the router in wherever there's a mains socket and BT socket.

Sponsored Links
(Trying not to dissapoint) Powerline adaptors are terrible
On a serious note, you would be better off if you could run an ethernet cable though.

Powerline adapters could be a good solution. I use a pair to avoid running a cable and they work well.

Alternatively, assuming the Wifi issue is a hardware one, a cheap USB Wifi dongle could be another cost effective option.

Agreed, I use one, it was a game-changer for extending wifi and for a cable connection, it transformed WFH for me.

BTW I believe BT guarantee you full wifi coverage throughout your property if you can solve the PC wifi issue such as spoodie's suggestion above (presumably they will supply extenders or similar but not sure what hoops you have to jump through to achieve it though.

Powerline adapters work (well) in some houses but not in others from having used them in various places, buy them from somewhere with a decent returns policy and return them if they don't work for you.

If your provider provides a mesh wifi setup or if you buy mesh wifi you can (usually) also use the ethernet port on the access point to provide a wired port.

I have a BT engineer coming tomorrow to install Broadband.
I would like the router in the living room or shelf in hallway. However the computer will be in the loft room which is essentially the 3rd level of the house.

However the desktop computer has a fault and doesn't connect wirelessly. Only via a ethernet cable.

What are my options? Or best to do here?
If everything else works okay on WiFi, tell him you want the router in the loft room.

Or ask BT for the mesh type units as the router WiFi doesn’t cover all the house

Thanks all

Managed to get the desk top computer to connect to my mobile hotspot. No idea how it didn't work the other day.

I will only be using the desk top computer in the loft room very occasionally for the time being atlesst. So maybe better to just use it connecting to the hotspot or buy a powerline adapter. Like the one linked above that require no set up, just plug them in (I think)

Although seems a shame in the sense the electrician is here all week and has offered to run a ethernet cable from down stairs to the upstairs and loft if needed. Seems like a good opportunity but if I only will use the computer in loft every 2 months or so and my wife gets good WIFI signal for her WFH laptop upstairs then doesn't seem much point in paying extra to run a WIFI cable from downstairs up to the loft?

I just hope that the WIFI covers the whole house as my wife wife will be working from home upstairs.
Not really understanding the " mesh type units as the router WiFi doesn’t cover all the house " maybe something I should ask BT tomorrow if he can install the mesh type unit?

i had powerline adapters and repeaters - and when they failed , changed to a MESH system and its so much better for my bungalow - now have wifi all over and in the garden
Also they have 2 etherent connecters and so the devices I had which did NOT have wifi work really good now connected to the satalite devices

this is what I have
BUT i purchased at Johnlewis - but they do not sell anymore
more info

Although seems a shame in the sense the electrician is here all week and has offered to run a ethernet cable from down stairs to the upstairs and loft if needed. Seems like a good opportunity but if I only will use the computer in loft every 2 months or so and my wife gets good WIFI signal for her WFH laptop upstairs then doesn't seem much point in paying extra to run a WIFI cable from downstairs up to the loft?

I just hope that the WIFI covers the whole house as my wife wife will be working from home upstairs.
Not really understanding the " mesh type units as the router WiFi doesn’t cover all the house " maybe something I should ask BT tomorrow if he can install the mesh type unit?
If he's not charging much and it can be done neatly do it, you can use it to feed a Wifi unit in the loft rather than having it rely on wireless back to the router which can be more reliable

this:

Thanks. So this what you linked too, this
mesh type unit, is different to the standard WIFI BT will install in my house? This is something better that I can ask BT to install when he arrives?

Sponsored Links
Back