Not connecting to I/E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any ideas please.Computer wont connect to internet explorer when first started up, but if you turn off and restart it usually connects ok.Running vista basic, computer connected to broadband router netgear dg834g via ethernet cable. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Open IE

Make sure toolbar is displayed

Click tools , Internet options , Click on the connections tab , then LAN settings. Make sure there is a tick in the 'Automatically detect network settings' box.

Try that for starters then come back to us .

do you mean Internet Explorer won't start?

Or do you mean Internet Explorer starts but won't connect to the Internet?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies,will connect to I/E just wont connect to internet.Tried what you said,still the same.Any other ideas?

What antivirus and firewall are you using?

Have you tried temporarily disabling both to see if connection problem remains?

I believe that Norton has firewall and antivirus features as standard. If this is correct and you are running Windows firewall at the same time then you are likely to encounter problems.

Disable one firewall - I suggest Windows easiest. I don't use Vista but I imagine that access to firewall will be via Control Panel

EDIT: Norton expired!! What impact will this have on your system? Will any components be still running. Perhaps it would be better to un install Norton completely and download another antivirus and firewall.
You may need to use the Norton removal tool HERE

I had this problem a few weeks ago. Eventually found the solution simplicity itself.
Switch off the netgear for at least one minute and when switched on again it should re-set itself to the correct configuration and hopefully allow you access to the internet again.

Rebooting the router may well work , but the OP only stated an issue with IE and not with any other apps that connect to the net.

OP , can you give us a bit more info so that we have a chance of helping you ?

Sorry for delay in replying, (no computer) found problem,was ethernet port connection fault.Fitted nic card to motherboard, all ok now. Thanks for replies, regards j

Sponsored Links
Back