Ethernet for garden room, splitter or two cables?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a garden room at the end of the garden, which is 43 metres away from the house. The wifi signal is not strong enough there and I'm not a fan of wifi anyway (unless it's for mobile devices), so I'm going to use an ethernet cable.

I've laid an outdoor use 50m long Cat6 copper UTP cable going from the house to where the garden office is going to be built.

At the house end it will be connected to the modem / router.
In the garden room I'd like to have two sockets on opposite walls. I will only ever use *one* at a time; the reason I want two sockets is I'm not sure yet where I will want to put my desk, and I'd like the flexibility to move the desk to the opposite wall without having to rewire.

So I'm thinking to use a splitter in the garden room and wire its two outputs to the two sockets.

Will that work? Is there anything to be concerned about, e.g. a loss of bandwidth, even if only one socket is used at a time?

Another option would be to lay another 50m cable, to have two separate connections - but wouldn't that be overkill?

Sponsored Links
Or add a small switch to split the 1 signal and you can then have as many outputs as you want.
Or add a second router that will give you 3 wired ethernet ports and wifi.
Or split the cable into 2.

You have many options.

install a double rj45 socket and a single at the other end. (or two doubles). then outside goes to one socket and the internal on the other side goes back to the first, then you have the option of either end or with a switch both ends working.

Sponsored Links
Back