Splitting Airband internet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a customer who has airband going to one house currently, and wants to split it to another house at the same site (its a farm with 2 cottages)
Is there any reason why I cant do what is shown in the drawing attached? Basically the airband dish and power supply is currently at the barn. The airband router is at house 1 currently.
I want to move the airband router back to the barn, and then connect 2 cat5 cables connected to the ethernet ports from the barn to each house.
At each house I would then site something like the TP - Link TLSG1005D ethernet switch with wifi, to be able to supply wifi and wired ethernet connections at each house.

IMG_20200522_152101.jpg

(https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG1005D-Desktop-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00ZOOJXEG)

Would set up be straight forward enough?
thank you

Sponsored Links
Use Ethernet if any single run of cable does not exceed 100 meters. Get cat5e for outdoor: https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/search?controller=search&search_query=cat5e+outdoor

Learn how to crimp caps yourself, lots of videos on YouTube it's very straight forward just a little fiddly. There are two wiring types for cat5e: A and B. It doesn't matter which you use, so long as both ends are wired the same.

You'll need:
  • Cable crimber
  • Bag of RJ45 connectors / plugs and boots (the boots are just for asthetics)

I don't think the switch you linked to offers WiFi.

The airband or any kind of internet will happily expand to a LAN. Single cable from router to central switch, and then a secondary switch in each house is better than connecting two switches directly to the router. It will work, but then your router is doing the job of a switch.

If the houses are within 100m of each other you can do it with two switches. Router in barn (or leave in house 1), connect router ethernet cable to central switch in house 1 and add ethernet from house 1 to 2 (direct, not via barn) with secondary switch in house 2.

Cut and pasting this...
The router is not the centre of your LAN. If you think of a LAN as a spider, your central switch is the body and the legs are ethernet cables. At the end of legs you can put devices, other secondary switches, and one leg will have the router on the end. The switch will share the internet from one leg with the others. This is a good way to think in terms of cable layout, it's common to assume the router is the centre, the body of the spider, but that's not true. This can be helpful when planning wire runs. Cable is cheap and installation is expensive, so if laying a trench always run more cables than you need right now.

I have a similar setup, and with TP-Link Omada WiFi. I can get 4 bars of Wifi on my phone when 200m from the house, thanks to these:
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/outdoor-ap/eap110-outdoor/
Easy to install as it's PoE, which means you can site them in trees and not worry about power supply. connect each to a switch. Thought I'd mention it as if you're on-site cabling then, why not?

Sponsored Links
Back