Why will this not work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this is the correct forum for this problem. I have a wireless router that I want to use via the ethernet connection. When I connect the PC with the supplied short ethernet cable to the router it works fine. I laid a 20m CAT5e cable about 20m long and connected the RJ45 connectors either end. I wired terminal 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc. This however does not work when I connect the PC to the router. I checked the cable with a LAN tester and it is fine.

Can anyone tell me why this won't work.

Sponsored Links
are you positive you wired it correctly. Remember it not only matters which pins connect together but that pins that are meant to go to the same pair in the cable do so.

Maybe 1-1 2-2 etc is not the configuration needed.

In some applications the pairs in the cable have to be swapped. I cannaot remember which but check the shosrt cbale that works and you may find it is not 1-1 2-2 etc

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
are you positive you wired it correctly.

I checked on the working( short) cable and all the colours on one RJ45 go to the same terminal on the other one. What I have are two identical cables, one 1m long and the other 25m long but the long one does not work. Help

happypig said:
did you wire it like this :

Happypig does it matter what the order of the colours are, as long as they are consistant from one connector to the other?

Yeah, you should keep the pairs together on the correct terminals like happypigs link above.
I have seen this happen before when I was trying to get a wireless access point to work, when plugged directly into the long cable the WAP didn't work but if the long cable was plugged into a network switch and a short patch cable between switch and WAP it worked fine.

The short cable, supplied with the router works. The long cable made up by yourself doesn't.

You've wired the plugs incorrectly.

Podooser said:
happypig said:
did you wire it like this :

Happypig does it matter what the order of the colours are, as long as they are consistant from one connector to the other?

You will have problems if you don't maintain the pair integrity.

Thanks for the help, I will check again today that I have got the colours correct.

This may help a bit :-
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Networking/Networking.htm

Traditionally, a connection from a PC to a 'router' required a 'crossover' cable, and a connection from a PC to a 'switch' or 'hub' required a 'straight' cable.

However, Some routers now incorporate switches or hubs, and some switch and router ports are now capable of autosensing the connection type.

Sometimes router and switch ports have push button associated that can be used to introduce a crossover if required (often marked ' = / x ').

Pins 1&2, and 3&6 are the ones essential for successful communication.

TicklyT said:
This may help a bit :-
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Networking/Networking.htm

Traditionally, a connection from a PC to a 'router' required a 'crossover' cable, and a connection from a PC to a 'switch' or 'hub' required a 'straight' cable.

However, Some routers now incorporate switches or hubs, and some switch and router ports are now capable of autosensing the connection type.

Sometimes router and switch ports have push button associated that can be used to introduce a crossover if required (often marked ' = / x ').

Pins 1&2, and 3&6 are the ones essential for successful communication.

Excellent picture on the link. Worth mentioning that the one on the top is for a standard Cat5e cable and needs to be wired this way at both ends. The bottom picture shows what you have to do at only 1 end to make a cross over cable. If you notice the orange/orange & white pair and green/green and White pairs are swapped or crossed over making it a cross over cable.

You need to look at the cable you were supplied with to see what type of cable it is. Looking at the plug with the clip down, if the ends are wired the same it is a standard cable, if the orange and green pairs are transposed at one end it is a cross over.

It is important that you keep the pairs together, it you wire it 1-1, 2-2, 3-3. 4-4 etc you will end up splitting the signal from pins 3 and 6 over 2 pairs i.e. using 1 wire from 2 different pairs. This would probably work on a short cable, but will be liable to interference the longer the cable gets.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Back