Netgear Ethernet Connention Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a Netgear WGR614 wireless router to replace a hard wired 4-way hub.

The problem I'm having is that when I connect the ethernet cable from my PC into the router, the router doesn't see it as being connected (the Number 1 light doesn't light)

I can plug a laptop into it and it see's it OK, so it's the PC. However if I connect the PC into the old hub first, then into the router, it connects OK.

Any idea why the direct connection won't work? I was hoping to dwicth off the old hub and throw it away!

Sponsored Links
When you plug the laptop in do you use a different cable ? Could be that you are using a crossover cable instead of a straight through.

Do you have DHCP enabled on the PC you are using, you should be able to find it by clicking on the network connection, clicking propeties, then clicking TCP/IP settings, or something along those lines.

Possible auto-sensing problem....try forcing the PC ethernet to be 100Mbits Full Duplex.

I take it the PC has a 10/100 network card or better ?

3 & Wan,

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried all combinations of cables, in all holes with the same results, and adjusted the setting as per your suggestions with no difference.

I've just tried with a second router and get the same issue, so it's something to do with the Realtek card - but why a standard hub can detect it, but a router can't is beyond me.

Sponsored Links
Is the card in the PC embedded or in a motherboard slot ?

What is the make and model of the card in the PC please.

What speed is the hub, 10/100 or just 10 ?

:confused:

I'd suggest checking the hardware properties on the nic in the pc. See if its set to autosensing and what speed its negotiating at.
A hub is just a dumb box that flows traffic through, the router is obviously a switch and some form of handshaking/negotiating will be required.
From past experience i've found speed issues set in the properties can cuase similar issues.
Worth a try i guess.

Thanks for the replies - apologies for not feeding anything back.

In the end I spent £5 on a new NIC card which works prefectly.

There's obivously some sort of quirk with the embedded NIC (it's a biostar board with a realtex processor) which will let it see the modem directly, or the hub, but not a router.

There's similar threads out on the tinternet, but no solutions that I can find.

Thanks anyway.

Sponsored Links
Back