One CAT6 cables - 2 separate networks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got Virgin Media and Sky broadbands, both modem/routers are downstairs at the front of the house. My home office is upstairs at the back of the house. I've got 1 CAT6 cable run which currently gives me LAN in my home office from the Sky router.
I want to run both both networks overs this ethernet cable so I can connect some devices to Sky and some to virgin media network. I'm thinking of purchasing 2 Managed switches which would provide VLAN functionality. 1 would sit near the routers which would have an ethernet cable each connecting from the routers and the home office ethernet cable. The other switch would be in the home office.
Before I purchase the switches, I'd like to know if this solution would work and if there's a better alternative?
Almost all the devices in the house are on Sky broadband, only a PC and work laptop are on VM broadband.

Sponsored Links
If it’s device specific can’t you use the MAC address and setup access controls to both networks. Then you won’t need anything new?

I want a wired connection over a single cable to the home office. I'm not sure if this is something I can do with a single cable splitting it over 2 separate networks with access controls? Can you share a how-to guide?

It is possible, if it's worth it or not is a totally different question. You can either treat it as two VLANs or a single network with a VPN from your office that directs traffic to the VM router.

Personally I'd lay another ethernet cable. Networking is hard.

Sponsored Links
I've got Virgin Media and Sky broadbands

Why do you have two? Work expenses?

Design your network with one network switch as the central point (the cable to the home office also, just a longer one). Then connect the broadband router to the switch. If you want to use both broadbands, obtain a router that can work with two WAN connections, either in a failover / redundant configuration or load balancing.

But honestly unless there's a special reason, I'd ditch the second service.

VLANs are admin heavy and have a very steep learning curve, for a home network I'd avoid.

You don't even need to use VLANS for this, just assign static IP addresses for at least one system rather than DHCP.

Back