Network connection problem, not enough connections???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please on best way to handle this, preferably inexpensively but with decent equipment if that’s possible.

I recently upgraded my Sky package to Sky Fibre and Sky Q.

With the old router I had 4 ports. I plugged into this my adjacent PC, an IP camera and the cat6 lead that goes down to the lounge on the ground floor.

My router and PC is in my office in the attic next to my master phone socket.

I ran a cat6 cable down to my lounge to offer broadband on the ground floor and this cable is now very hidden as I wanted it and it would not be that easy to run another cable now that everything is decorated although I would consider it if it would make a big difference compared to any other solution.

I have Sky Q now in the lounge and my boys Xbox needing network connections.

My problem is that the Sky fibre router only has 2 ports so now I have my PC and cat6 cable plugged in but no way of plugging in my IP camera, what’s best to do here?

Also 2nd problem, in the lounge the Sky Q box is using the network cat6 cable and so I have no way of plugging in the Xbox. Previously I used an old Belkin router placed behind the Sky box and Xbox, and the cat6 went into that and I used 2 ports out but when the Sky guy installed the new equipment it would not work with my old Belkin router. The Sky guy said he expected that, as it often gives problems when they introduce non Sky equipment. Once we removed it and went straight into the Q box all worked fast and fine.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Congratulations on wanting cabled networks rather than WiFi (just to many people on wifi so doesn't as well as expected).

May Suggest a LAN switch (eithernet hub) e.g. http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/networking/switches/8-10portswitches/gs208-100uks.html

You may also have suggestions of using 'Poerline' adaptors - but they are open to interferance and people using your network illegally unless they have some form of encryption built in.

Thanks for the help, I don't really fancy getting involved with Powerline adaptors as I have used them before and would prefer using proper network gear. Can I use one of these in the office on the top floor and one behind the Sky Q and Xbox as well?

Would the Sky and Xbox interfere with each other in anyway being that they are supplied from the same cat6 cable if i put one downstairs?

Also would it all just work or do I need to mess about with any settings?

I'm guessing unmanaged means it will handle everything itself is that right?

I.E. is it ok to have one of these devices in the office and have the cat6 cable coming from it into another one of these devices before splitting between the different tv boxes thus utilising the single cat6 cable coming down to the lounge?

Sponsored Links
I don't see why not.
If I understand your original comments correctly the new router only has 2 ports; so to use 2 Hubs (LAN switches) I would suggest that you do have one in the office connected out of one port of the router with your PC, IP camera and anything else plugged into that hub and and a second Hub located with the sky box to include a connection for the Xbox. Unless both the SkyQ and Xbox are using lots of data at the same time you should not notice any impairment in the service (i.e. Contention). With Cat6 cable the data rate capability is probably higher that what the router can cope with anyway.

W

First check your sky box has gigabit ports. Otherwise you may want to upgrade the router rather than just adding a switch. Secondly if the camera is PoE or you plan to do PoE to devices on your network then invest in a switch which includes PoE e.g. http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-42_TL-SG1008P.html

Ideally you want your cat6 network coming back to a central point rather than networking point to point. You can then install the router/switch in one place rather than adding multiple routes.

The switch will take care of the data throughput up to a bout 2Gbit (as per the one in my link) so you may want two connections from the switch to the router rather than adding a device on the router instead.

My suggestion:
2-port sky router. One port CAT6 cable to lounge. Second port to 5 or 8 port Gigabit switch from which all PCs, printers etc in the office are connected. (it is assumed that the 2-port SKY router is Gigabit, not just 10/100)

Lounge end of CAT6 cable into 5 or 8 port Gigabit switch from where the connections to "everything else" are taken. If PoE is required, use POE switches or POE injectors. Note: POE voltage is normally 48v DC. Some POE items run at 24v DC, and thus require a dropper in circuit, which AFAIK is supplied by the manufacturer of the POE item.

How were you connecting your old Belkin router? They normally have 4 LAN ports (which act as a network switch). With the CAT6 in LAN port 1 and all the other items (including the SkyQ box) in the other 3 LAN ports, it should have worked (assuming SKY Q does not require greater than 100Mbps speed). If, however you were using hte Belkin's WAN port as the input, this is why it did not work.
HTH

Back