Internet connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am still struggling along with my old PC, soon to be replaced...

I have lost internet connection, so have snuck onto Mrs Secure's machine.

I have pinged the router & have got stats back of 100% loss, ie it cannot communicate at all.

I have tried feeding it via the Cat6 cable from this machine, but that fails, too.

Is it likely to be a setting fault or could it be the LAN card itself?

It is showing LED's with the Cat6 cable plugged in at both ends, but the orange one is flashing.

What d'you reckon? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Bit hard to say from your description. Which orange light is flashing? I guess if you're able to post from another machine, presumably linked to the same router, then it is the PC that is at fault. If you mean there is an orange light on the NIC (lan card) then either a NIC fault or a cable problem.

yes, this pc I'm on now is fine, as is the one downstairs. But mine, next to this one, is bad. Yes, the orange LED is on the LAN card

I've swapped ports and cables to no avail. So I think you're right. I'll swap out the LAN card.... :cry:

I'm assuming a windows OS, try opening up a command prompt. Start ->run (or windows key + r) type cmd.exe

then try ping 127.0.0.1 see what happens.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming a windows OS, try opening up a command prompt. Start ->run (or windows key + r) type cmd.exe

Whilst your there, type in IPCONFIG /ALL and press enter. Look for something like "Local Area COnnection" and see if you have an IP address... You are looking for something like:

Local Area Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Pro 100/S
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : blah
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 22 July 2009 18:26:15
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 25 July 2009 18:26:15
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.220.220
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

now check and see if "Auto Confinguration Enabled" says Yes. If it doesn't then you have manuallly assigned an IP address and you probably need to change it back in the IP Properties of the adapter.

If it says yes, what IP address are you seeing? If a 169 address then it means you are failing to pick up an IP address. This could be caused by the firewall, try temporarily disabling it. Also try right clicking on the adapter and disabling it then re-enabling it. Als try right click and repair although this rarely does anything. Last resort see note on Winsockfix.exe below.

If you have the correct IP address:

It could also be spyware, try downloading (on the other machine) Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org) and running that on the machine. It takes ages but is good. Even if it finds and repais problems you may still need the file below:

Lastly it could be a corrupt winsock. Download and run winsockfix.exe from this site http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
After it reboots you shoul be good to go.

Back