limited or no connectivity...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, just moved my PC to another room, now it wont connect to my router.

the laptop is fine on wireless or via a cable, and ok on all ports of the router.
my desktop however isnt, I have tried it in different ports, diffent cables, bit to no avail.
it seems like it cant get an IP address, any ideas or has my (onboard) LAN card died?

in IP config, my laptop gets sensible things, eg ip: 192.168.0.8, my pc 169.254.171.241
its not picking up the dns suffix gateway either.
pinging the router gets a request timed out.

help!!!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If the laptop is address 192.168.0.8 I'm assuming the router will probably be 192.168.0.1.

Try your PC with an ip address of 192.168.0.something (but not 1 or:cool:, subnet 255.255.255.0

OK, did as suggested, nothing.

put in the dns manualy from the router info, and it now appears in the attached devices, and im getting some responses from a ping, but its hit and miss, maybe 50/50

is this a hardwire we're talking about or a wireless?

as it's getting a funny address, it may be connecting to a neighbours router if it's using wireless..
if it's hardwired then it's a cabling problem i recon..

If the laptop is address 192.168.0.8 I'm assuming the router will probably be 192.168.0.1.

Try your PC with an ip address of 192.168.0.something (but not 1 or:cool:, subnet 255.255.255.0

Apparently, you can't put an 8 followed by a ) without the forum assuming you want a smiley. :cool: :cool: :cool:

is this a hardwire we're talking about or a wireless?

as it's getting a funny address, it may be connecting to a neighbours router if it's using wireless..
if it's hardwired then it's a cabling problem i recon..

wired, the wireless is only for the laptops in the house.

I originally thought it was a dodgy cable too, but I have tried 3 cables, all of which work fine on my laptop, but not on the desktop (yes i did disable the wireless adaptor first!!)

I have found a spare network card, so might stick that in it this eve and see what happens.

OK, just moved my PC to another room, now it wont connect to my router.
Did you take anti-static precautions when disconnecting and reconnecting the PC?

in IP config, my laptop gets sensible things, eg ip: 192.168.0.8, my pc 169.254.171.241
In that case DHCP is failing with the PC.

put in the dns manualy from the router info, and it now appears in the attached devices, and im getting some responses from a ping, but its hit and miss, maybe 50/50
It does seem that the NIC is faulty.

Did you, or anyone, try to jam any other connector into the NIC port after moving the PC? Have you looked into the NIC port with a strong torch to check that all contacts are clean and straight?

Typo corrected. :oops:

i took my normal anti-static approach, leaving the mains plug in (switched off on PSU) with one hand on the case.

no, no-one else has toched said pc except me, or inserted anything where it shouldnt.

havnt looked in the socket yet, gave up last night, will have a peek when I get home, as the same thing dawned on me this morning on the way to work.

In case that you're probably more sensible and better suited to solving this than all the other people offering you advice.

You might just have been unlucky. Although thin Ethernet NICs are a lot more reliable than they used to be, they seem to have the retained the ability to 'half-work' in a most irritating and confusing way.

If you felt like it, you could insert a hub between PC and router, and run a packet capture utility on a nearby machine to see which packets are going missing. If, for example, you see all of the pings leaving the PC, and all replies going back to it, then you can be even more sure that it's the PC NIC.

Installing a new NIC and disabling the on-board one is probably quicker though...

cheers, I dont have a hub, might borrow a defunkt (as in no-longer used but works) managed switch from work and use wireshark, that will do the same thing, just for the fun of it.

new NIC it is then, ahh well I wanted to go gigabit anyway....

ok, just to udate everyone, just spent a couple of hours packet sniffing, and my on board NIC is dropping them everywhere, transmit is fine, but it just isnt listening (sounds like my 4y/o!!)
new card installed, sorted.....

Sponsored Links
Back