Linking Printer to wireless network.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have a D-Link DSL-G624T wireless modem/router combined with a laptop and pc linked wirelessly.e all

I want to link our printer to it so I can print from it without having to use the missus' laptop.

D-Link website mentions getting a wireless printer server in order to connect a printer wirelessly. But we don't need the printer to have a wrielss connection to the router, just a connection.

Is there anyway of connecting the printer via an LAN cable to the router (if not what are all the LAN ports on it for?) (obvisouly it can be physically connected but can it be set up and how?

Thanks in advance
TOm

Sponsored Links
seem to have answered your own question

twm.bwen said:
............D-Link website mentions getting a wireless printer server in order to connect a printer wirelessly. But we don't need the printer to have a wrielss connection to the router, just a connection................

twm.bwen said:
............(if not what are all the LAN ports on it for?)............

connecting other pcs that are not wireless, just like i have (and did)

I have the same wireless router / modem you have

r.jpg

Thanks for the reply,

So what you're saying is its not possible to connect a printer physically, only wirelessly via a wireless printer server?

Thanks
Tom

no, i am saying you cant connect it directly to the router / modem we both have, it needs an interface, which is what a wireless connection to your printer is.

(unless of course you printer has a connection to connect it to a router (i doubt it)

You may be able to set up your printer to the other pc/laptop and access it through that, since you will then all be on the same network

Sponsored Links
Thanks for sticking with me through this,

I have a Brother Brother MFC-620CN USB Printer which on the website says is network ready and it does indeed have an LAN/ethernet port on it.

Does this mean I can link it to it. (I don't think it works just by connecting the two with a cable).

I've looked on the net but can't find anything.

If your printer has a LAN port and the D-Link router has a spare LAN port then you should be able to connect the two, you'll need a normal LAN patch cable to do this, you may even have got one with the router. Should then be a case of following the destructions that came with the printer to set up a network address. You may need to find the network printer using add printers. My personal preference is to give items such as this static network addresses (lights blue touch paper :D ).

Spark123 said:
If your printer has a LAN port and the D-Link router has a spare LAN port then you should be able to connect the two, you'll need a normal LAN patch cable to do this, you may even have got one with the router. Should then be a case of following the destructions that came with the printer to set up a network address. You may need to find the network printer using add printers. My personal preference is to give items such as this static network addresses (lights blue touch paper :D ).

Yes, connect the printer to the router using a standard ethernet patch cable. The printer utility disk should include a utility called BRAdmin. Use this to locate the printer and assign a static ipaddress that matches the router subnet. The printer can then be added to your PCs by using a standard TCP port.

Back