EU Rwanda flavoured immigration plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"The president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, backs centre-right European People's Party (EPP) proposals to offshore asylum abroad — in what appears to mimic a controversial UK plan to send people to Rwanda."

Sponsored Links
External processing with successful applicants allowed to live and work in Europe. Eminent people have suggested other safe routes like this in the past.

No country is going to mimic the Conservative plan

here are the stats:

cost of UK Rwanda plan = £500 million
number of refugees sent = 0

Sponsored Links
I'm not so sure after reading the FT article in this Google search
It is if you read the EU briefing, not the newspapers. It is totally different to the Rwanda proposals.

"External processing entails applications for international protection being processed beyond the EU's external borders, in third countries. An individual processed externally whose claim was successful would then, in theory, be resettled to an EU Member State."

It is if you read the EU briefing, not the newspapers. It is totally different to the Rwanda proposals.

"External processing entails applications for international protection being processed beyond the EU's external borders, in third countries. An individual processed externally whose claim was successful would then, in theory, be resettled to an EU Member State."

I think this a different proposal. I don't think it is actually the EU putting it forward. It's a manifesto pledge from one of the groups standing in the EU election, of which Ursula von der Leyen is a member

Does it say that or are you assuming that?

I can't see it anywhere.

But there are two different things going on here. One is the current law, which Italy has begun using, which will allow them to process asylum seekers in Albania. Under this rule, any successful asylum seekers will be granted the right to settle in Italy.

Then there is this new proposal being put forward by the European People's Party (EPP) in the European Parliament. This seems much more like the Rwanda scheme. Asylum seekers will be processed in a "safe" third country, and then the standard position is that, if successful, they will be settled in that country. There will, however, be a quota for any successful "vulnerable" asylum seekers to actually be resettled in the EU.

Does my post #11 help?
A bit. The OP seemed to imply that the EU were falling in line with the UK's Rwanda policy. Do you mean that, in fact, Italy for example is using current laws not new ones?

And the OP posted info from a party briefing which isn't the EU position?

Sponsored Links
Back