Eurocarparts Website Smoke and Mirrors Advertising

Sponsored Links
What linkage do parts prices have to labour costs ?
Just a matter of perception. I know the garage I occasionally use get many of their parts from ECP, they invoice them at retail price, which is around double what they pay for them, on some items the mark-up is massive - I think they charged me £3 for a tail light bulb, I expect they buy them by the hundred for pennies each, any work to do with brakes gets a small but significant charge for "brake cleaner"

Obviously it doesn't always work out, some jobs are labour heavy/parts light, but on balance it makes most people happier with their bills.

Last job they did for me was a wishbone replacement, I think it was invoiced at £65 labour and £70 for the part (which could be had from ECP for about £35 with their fake discount nonsense) - if I was an average customer (the one who gets paid £10/hr and can't understand why he's paying a tradesman £100/hr) I'd be happier with this than £100 labour/£35 parts. Same with this brake cleaner/oil disposal nonsense - where do they draw the line? Charging separately for their rubber gloves, the plastic bag they put on your seat, a new socket (or contribution towards) for their tool box, £5 for the receptionist to call you and tell you the cars ready? My sister once got charged £15 for "heat treatment" WTF is that, a blowtorch on a rusty bolt.

All smoke and mirrors.

they invoice them at retail price,
Normal practice. I would be surprised if any garage acted differently.

which is around double what they pay for them, on some items the mark-up is massive
I would also be astonished if any garage gets a 50% discount on a genuine price: this obviously takes no account of the fantasy prices you are talking about. In any case , garages are not bound by anybody's list price ( and probably won't say where the part was sourced when its these cheapo merchants ) so can invoice the part at whatever price they choose.

How does your garage work its pricing when the job is nearly all labour ? Do they check records to see what they charged the customer the previous time so it doesn't jump from £60 to £100 ?

Sponsored Links
There's no point in replying to any of Mountains posts he's so argumentative. Mountain presently looking at himself in his shaving mirror repeatedly saying 'how right I am...'

Sorry, but I don't see him as argumentative. He is simply offering an explanation of how the 'system' works, for the benefit of those car owners on here who are unable/unwilling to work on their cars (like myself) & are yet to experience the delights of having to pay for the privilege.
I am very fortunate in having a local family run garage within walking distance of my home. As my both cars are classed as classics I always supply the engine oil for servicing & sometimes the parts for repairs as well ... it's easier for the garage that way plus I can control both the quality of the components & the price I pay. The only downside is that I am then held responsible for any component problems, but the quality of labour is still guaranteed.

There's no point in replying to any of Mountains posts he's so argumentative. Mountain presently looking at himself in his shaving mirror repeatedly saying 'how right I am...'

I would call it a discussion, rather than an argument - everyone is entitled to have their own point of view, so long as it doesn't become an offensive tirade against someone's alternative point of view.

Good point Festive I've noticed that CarParts4Less website is identical to Eurocarparts website apart from the colour scheme and prices. Slightly more expensive than Eurocarparts but with the same continuous sale offers with discount codes to input in the checkout basket.

I generally go for Mintex or Brembo discs. Used either for years and never had any warping issues. I have heard of Eicher discs warping. Probably made by a seven year old in a jungle workshop somewhere.

Yes! and Autodoc and Buycarparts do something very similar! Why is that? Is it so that they can create the illusion of competition or something?

If you can wait autodoc.co.uk are much cheaper but they ship from germany normally about a weeks wait.
I used to prefer to use them, but thanks to Brexit, the delays in getting parts are longer and not even consistently so!

What I don’t understand is why they constantly have a sale on with promo codes that change every week, but always the same discounts are available… does anyone buy at full price?!

Recently, I've noticed they've started applying the discount code automatically. It led me to wonder whether this stupid practice has actually started shooting them in the foot, because when people just Google for "Focus brake pads", the un-discounted price that comes up, puts people off clicking on the Eurocarparts site in the first place, if they don't already know there's usually a discount code?

Sponsored Links
Back