European Plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening gents,

am currently involved in a large christmas lighting project.

I'm renewing lighting harnesses that are attatched to street lighting colums. Sockets are already installed on the top of the colums, but they have european sockets on them?!

They were installed around 4 years ago. My understanding is this is an acceptable practise in the eyes of the IEE, but the code of practise for the installation of seasonal decorations advices the use of CEEform connectors.

Some of the harnesses need new plugs, any idea where i can get some from, without having to nip over to france?

Do you think it would be right for me to complain to the previous contractor?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Ive also seen xmas lighting installs where they used MK masterseal sockets IP56 rated and normal BS1363 plugtops.
The lights ive installed come with europlug we just chop them and wire a 16 amp CEE type plug on.
One place i worked for used choc blocks and PVC tape to supply the xmas lights.
As for replacment europlugs id try CPC as i got some from them a while back.

Are you certain?

I've worked on lots of christmas supplies fed from lighting coloumns in various towns and cities, and all of them have always utilised BS4343 plugs and sockets.

Are schuko sockets waterproof when a plug is inserted?

Who installed the sockets? Was it the local highways power department, or a private contractor?

Where do you get your motifs / festoon from? What type of connector is supplied on these?

I think we need a photo of the offending socket if we may please

I'm picking up the pieces from a very large private contractor, they seem to order all their harnesses ect from greece, and so they come with europlugs attatched.

some the the harnesses have obviuously been cut from larger harnesses, and so europlugs have been added.
Their method of adding them has been to take an IEC lead with a europug attatched, chop the IEC end of and join it to the harness with tape and crimps!

Hence why i want to put new europlugs on - at bare minimum!

Haven't been able to look at the sockets yet, but i get the feeling they're not as waterproof as they should be with the plugs in

Sponsored Links
Do you really mean europlugs or do you mean one of the several european earthed plug types?
I know that there are waterproof variants of the german schuko plug arround.
can you get some pictures?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back