Eurosec LCD Keypad for CP8L

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Eurosec LCD Keypad for CP8L that has started to fail on certain button presses. Rather than risk any reprogramming errors by keys not working I’d like to replace it. I have checked and they are still being sold.

I will have a go at most things if I think they may be within my skills. As such, I think a simple replacement of a part should be within my remit, however, I have no particular alarm expertise.

I would be grateful if a knowledgeable person would be kind enough to offer me some advice and/or assistance.

1. Can I undo the wires on the existing one and replace in the same location on the new one whilst the alarm is still on, but in unset mode? (Obviously I would ensure that no wires touched each other.)

2. Would by doing the above set off any alarm by reason of a tamper?

3. Or would I have to disconnect the alarm. If I have to do this, do I, disconnect the mains; then the battery; effect the change; then reconnect the battery; then the mains?

4. Would any or all of the above affect any programming in the unit?

5. Is there anything I should be wary of, or some other thing I would need to know?
I thank you in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Take the keypad front off , this will set off the internal tamper only , put in your code to stop alarm , snip the cores one by one , remove old keypad , fit new one , press reset .....the only issue I've seen is when aold keypad on an new panel ( time and date may freeze ) think this to do with display blanking on EN version panels . Yours should be ok

Hi sparkymarka

Firstly may I thank you for such a speedy reply.

This sounds as though it should be relatively easy to do. (Fingers crossed.) Much less than I expected.
Your answer gives me the confidence I needed.

I will now order a new one and then follow your advice.
Therefore, maybe a couple of weeks before I can report back, but I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi sparkymarka

I have ordered one should be here in a few days. Just a quick follow up on your last piece of advice.

Do you mean the keypad I'm removing or the keypad I will be installing?
I take it at the moment that I will NOT have to transfer it across as the new one should have one? Do you know if this is correct?

I think you are simply advising me to watch out as this is a potential hiccup.

Thanks

Both will have one but it can fall out on install , take picture of the back of the old keypad before you disconnect so you know where it goes in case it falls out ....

Hi sparkymarka

I got the replacement keypad today and fitted it as per your instructions. The internal alarm went off when I released the keypad, but as it is still attached electrically entering the code silences this no problem, as you stated.

I see your point about the resistor it does fall out! I had taken a picture just in case.

Was very careful indeed when refitting as the terminals for the wires are very close together and obviously I had to avoid any cross contact when putting each wire in.

I think it would be a job that most people could do as long as you are methodical in approach. Doing it this way in unset mode, and being careful, obviously avoids having all the extra hassle of powering off the alarm etc.

When refitted there is nothing more to do other than put your code in to reset the tamper. Then everything is totally as it was before.

Many thanks for your advice and help without which I would have probably not undertaken the replacement or it would have been a lot more expensive.

Cheers. John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back