Eurostar Minor 1 howling - dumb questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a Trianco with a Eurostar Minor 1 oil burner that has started making a high-pitched howl from the motor (I think) that I can hear through the pipework of the house.

I've bled the pump, no change, so now I'm thinking bearings? If so, are they DIYable for a "7 out of 10" skill level sort of DIYer?

Always after a quick fix, a neighbour has offered me an Ecoflam Max 1 TC 50/80 WM Condensing burner (Thermecon 550801/107), which he says superseded the Minor in his previous boiler. The burner in my boiler is a Eurostar minor 1 50/65 (550101/200). I'm guessing the higher output (50/65 vs.50/80?) would rule that out as a straight replacement even if it did fit?

Many thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Yes replacing the bearings isn't a big job. A bit fiddly and time consuming.
I see people selling motor bearings for oil boiler on ebay for about £10.

The Max 1 will fit your boiler, but will have to be recommissioned to suit. Not really a diy job.
When checking your bearings, have a look at the shaft seal on the oil pump, a pound to a penny says it has leaked into the rear of the motor causing the bearing failure. If so, then it is a new pump. Again this is not a diy job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back