Thermecon Minor 1 40/60 Burner Lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Wondered if anyone had some insight into an issue I have with our boiler, it's a Ecoflam Thermecon Minor 1 40/60 I have no idea how old it is but given the rust in the housing I'm guessing it's must be quite old.

About a month ago we ran low on fuel and at that time decided to replace the tank, after the tank was replaced the boiler ran for a few days. I came home one day and noticed it was not on, I investigated and found it had locked out. I restarted and the burner ignited but was putting out black smoke so I shut it off.

I opened it up and cleaned it out but could not get it to work clean it would keep running but putting out black smoke, at this time I replaced the nozzle to no effect. I also cleaned the nozzle and its mounting plate and cleaned/re-seated the electrodes.

I then called a repairman to check it out and they cleaned it further. I must admit I was only aware of the central baffle plate and not the other two!, when they cleaned these out it no longer put out black smoke but took some time to get running.

It was left running and seemed fine, however the next day it was again locked out, I restarted however it locked out again. I waited for the lockout to disengage and started it again, this time it ran for some few minutes.

Presently I have it set to a 1.5 air setting and it will start but does not take long to lockout (between seconds to a few minutes). It seems to take about 5 seconds from starting for the boiler to actually ignite but I can hear something prior to that which I guess to be the pre-purge?

The solenoid was replaced about a year and a half ago.

I'm concerned I may have placed the electrodes back incorrectly but would think it wouldn't ignite if there was an issue with these?

I'm going to check tonight and make sure the photocell is clean but beyond that I have no ideas and the repairman is not familiar with this make.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ideally it needs setting up with a flue gas analyser. If your repairman is not familiar with one of the most common burners then I would be looking for a competent man. There are two possibilities; you have brought some debris into the fuel supply pipework or oil pump. First check any filters, and make sure they are properly bled. There is also a filter in the oil pump. This will be either under a plug by the solenoid, or you will have to remove the front cover by releasing the 4 allen screws.
If the settings have been disturbed, then an experienced eye can set the air visually but it is best done with a FGA as above.

Wh
Ideally it needs setting up with a flue gas analyser. If your repairman is not familiar with one of the most common burners then I would be looking for a competent man. There are two possibilities; you have brought some debris into the fuel supply pipework or oil pump. First check any filters, and make sure they are properly bled. There is also a filter in the oil pump. This will be either under a plug by the solenoid, or you will have to remove the front cover by releasing the 4 allen screws.
If the settings have been disturbed, then an experienced eye can set the air visually but it is best done with a FGA as above.

Can you tell the difference between 8 and 11 % co2 by looking?? Fookin no chance !!

Sponsored Links
Usually within 1 or 2 % of target. I will do this before putting my FGA into the test point.

That is what Smoke pumps are for !!

I do not need a FGA as I can tell by the exhaust smell if combustion is correct.;);)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back