EX -STORAGE HEATER WIRING....REUSABLE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am converting a cupboard into a place to put my fridge freezer and will need to put in a double socket.

There is a cupboard next door that has a fuse box that was once used to power all the convector heaters in the house. My question is this, there is still wire in the trunking from the fuse box to the box where the convector fire was (fuse is down so no power at the moment)....but could i use that wire to put it through to my fridge/freezer and put a double socket on the end of it?

It will be used to power the appliance and a small light only.

kev.

Sponsored Links
Is it still connected to the main fuse board for the house. What thickness cable is it. What is it fused at. .... More info needed mate

the fuse box has 60A rated onto it and the main wire going in to the box is huge and the wires going out of the box are about 2.5 i think , 3 core grey wire with copper wire earth.

When you say "convector heater", do you mean night storage heaters? If NSH were taken out of the property the fuse box for them may still be live, but it'll be on a time clock to only operate between 11pm and 6am (or thereabouts). Just as likely that if the heating system's been changed the NSH fuse box was disconnected as well.

PJ

Sponsored Links
If the main (still working) fusebox is also there then it would be as easy to run a spur from there into the cupboard.

You would need to know how to do that, of course!

YEP, ...silly ol me ment to say storage heaters and they have all now gone and been replaced by gas heating...much better :cool:

the sparky who was ment to come and take everything out only disconected the wires and left them in the boxes on the wall in the bedrooms ( replacing the switch for a blanking plate)

Iv checked the wires and there seems to be no power going to them but the guy said that we could use the fuse board if we needed it.....

you probably need to remove the wire from the heating fusebox and connect it into the normal fusebox. assuming it is long enough.

(unless you want to make all the old heating points live and fix sockets)

you probably need to remove the wire from the heating fusebox and connect it into the normal fusebox. assuming it is long enough.

(unless you want to make all the old heating points live and fix sockets)

NOTE

That is not a DIY job as there a lot of things to consider before you just
remove the wire from the heating fusebox and connect it into the normal fusebox.

Iv checked the wires and there seems to be no power going to them

As they're NIGHT storage you won't find any power in them if you test during the day - you'd need to test in the middle of the night when they would be energised. There are better ways to investigate this than setting your alarm clock for 2am .... For a start, check your electric bill. You may still be paying the night storage tariff.

PJ

ok, since posting this i have found out that the fuse box is redundant and a no go.

There is a single socket near the cupboard which i thought about spuring off to a double socket (see pic 1)
WIREDIAGRAM-1.jpg

but from talking to you guys and a sparky mate it was found to be a spur from a spur and he advised against it.
so he said the quickest and easyist way was to remove the single socket and extend the wire to the double one inside the cupboard
WIREDIAGRAMB.jpg

i would have liked to have kept the single socket but dont have the time or access to find another power source nearby.
discuss if you will but this seems to be the way forward for me....[/url]

If those are the only cables at Single Socket #1 then it's already a spur and you may not connect the Future Double Socket to it.

at socket number 1 there is 3 wires going into it...2 ring and 1 spur.

(i have added these on now to reflect this) :D

at socket number 1 there is 3 wires going into it...2 ring and 1 spur.
Have you checked that 2 of them are the ring, or had it checked?

I have looked at the back of the socket and know that it has been there since the house was built many moons ago...so i thought it would be on the ring. Prety sure it is but how do i check to be sure?....(multi meter on standby) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back