Excavating copper pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm in the process of doing up my lounge and as part of the job I need to relocate a radiator. The issue I have is that the feed and return are currently both routed to the radiator in concrete.

My question is, what's the best technique for excavating copper pipes out of a concrete floor, to leave a good enough end to fit a new connection and re-route?

I'm quite comfortable with pipework and basic solder plumbing, chasing out the floor etc. What I'm worried about is that as soon as I start hacking at the concrete, I risk damaging the copper pipes contained within. Is there a "right" way to do this?

Thanks for your help

Matt

Sponsored Links
by hand and carefully :rolleyes: oh and i know it's obvious but empty the system first, just in case, damaged pipes are easy to fix and cause less damage when empty

My question is, what's the best technique for excavating copper pipes out of a concrete floor, to leave a good enough end to fit a new connection and re-route?

tIt's all about confidence and being csreful. Start to excavate around where the pipe exits the floor, but an inch or so away. The floor normally breaks up easily. Pull the lumps out, maybe using a screwdriver as a lever. Initially, you are looking to work out the direction in which the pipes are laid. Once established, continue to break out along the length but an inch or so away from the pipe and again lever out lumps revealing more pipe as you go. Eventually you will have enough exposed to dig beneath the pipe to enable you to cut. Remember it is practically impossible to fully empty the pipe of water, so use a wet and dry to clear water.

I use my Bosch multi drill on hammer, it's much easier than by hand, but as I said, it's all about confidence, which experience brings. If you damage the pipe it's not the end of the world, just dig a bit further.

Thanks guys.

I'll be giving it a go sometime in the next week, blindfold and using a lump hammer....

Seriously though, I'll exercise the techniques detailed here with caution, and hopefully I won't end up all the way back at the boiler (it's 15m away so I should be ok!)

Cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
Personally I never bother removing copper pipes from concrete. ( Loads of pipes in concrete froze and burst during the big freeze up last Christmas ). They should never have had concrete poured around them in the first place and removing them is far too much hard work. .:cool:

Just abandon them and run new pipes above floor level . ;)

Hi guys

So after a week or two of deliberating and doing other jobs, I got around to this. Chipped out and around the old pipes fairly easily in the end. I didn't appreciate how simple getting through a sand/cement screed would be, but it worked just find and the old pipes were wrapped in a plastic-lined hessian cloth, so this provided a bit of extra wiggle room.

Bought myself an SDS drill to expedite the new channelling, and soldered the additional pipework in place today without a hitch.

Thanks for your advice on this one.

Cheers
Matt

So after a week or two of deliberating and doing other jobs, I got around to this. Chipped out and around the old pipes fairly easily in the end. I didn't appreciate how simple getting through a sand/cement screed would be,

I told you it was easy! Well played, that man.

The next tip is to pressurise and LEAVE for another few weeks before you pour new concrete ( and make it weak! )

Also ensure you cover the pipes with insulation to allow expansion ( and contraction of course! )

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back