Excavating topsoil - how much will it expand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evenin' all,

I'm in the planning stage of renovating the back yard. It's a 6m x 12m rectangle and I'm looking at a mixture of paving and gravel (for foot traffic only).

I'm intending to dig out the whole area and fill with 75mm of compacted MOT1 with the flagstones laid on a 50mm mortar bed. I'll be excavating out to a total depth of about 160mm, giving me a total volume of soil to be removed of about 11.5 cubic metres. I know this will expand as it is removed but I'm not sure how much. Any ideas on how much the final volume is likely to be? Also, what is likely to be the best way of getting rid of it - grab truck or skip(s)?

Many thanks,

Nick

Sponsored Links
depends on what the soil is eg virgin chalk, topsoil clay etc.

work on roughly 15m3 and you wont be far wrong. a skip is tidier, however probably more expensive. a grab and tip will be cheaper.

Thanks Thermo. It is topsoil from a very overgrown garden. I think I'll go with the skip option because I don't fancy piling it all up on the driveway prior to collection with a grab lorry.

I appreciate the speedy reply :)

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back