Excavation and existing concrete footing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of excavating our basement room - only to gain another 200mm but because we need to allow for 300mm of slab/insulation/screed we have had to dig down 500mm.

At 400mm we have reached to top of the concrete footings that the house is built on.

What are the regulations around this? Can I excavate the remaining 100mm knowing that we're then going to pour in 150mm of concrete? How far past the top of the footings can we excavate, if at all?

Sponsored Links
We are in the process of excavating our basement room - only to gain another 200mm but because we need to allow for 300mm of slab/insulation/screed we have had to dig down 500mm.

At 400mm we have reached to top of the concrete footings that the house is built on.

What are the regulations around this? Can I excavate the remaining 100mm knowing that we're then going to pour in 150mm of concrete? How far past the top of the footings can we excavate, if at all?

...I will of course be getting the building inspector round to check up on each stage, I just want to get a head start on finding out whether I'm going to have to start planning for lower ceiling heights or not. I'll be a little gutted, but underpinning sounds expensive :(

...I will of course be getting the building inspector round to check up on each stage, I just want to get a head start on finding out whether I'm going to have to start planning for lower ceiling heights or not. I'll be a little gutted, but underpinning sounds expensive :(

BCO chap will most likely want a trial pit dug to determine the foundation depth/makeup before making a decision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back