Permitted development garage height query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I'm after a bit of advice about a garage we're having built...

We're having a timber frame garage built under permitted development on what was a sort of patio/shedbase/random concrete stairs/random concrete levels area of our garden.

The garden stepped down to a big stretch about 1m higher than the access road (to the rear of the property), then to about 50cm higher, then a final short step and section that was about 15-20cm higher than the back of the property (with a slope down to an access gate)

[code:1]
Something like this:

________
| |
|garden| (actually about 3 times the length of proposed garage)
| |
--------
| | ~1m higher than access road
--------
| |
| | ~50cm higher than access road
--------
-------- ~20 cm higher than access road

Access road
---------
[/code:1]

We excavated out the old concrete and replaced the crumbling retaining walls - and our plan is to have a timber garage constructed to sit on the walls (they've been built with that in mind). You can still see the level of the lowest section, because it was poured at the same time as one of our neighbours and has been trimmed off next door.

Our builder says that we can have 4m from the original garden height - rather than 4m from the new (level with access road) concrete slab. Is he right? (Because that would be terribly handy for our tile choice!).

Sponsored Links
Yes, 4m from the highest existing ground level prior to the development http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/ Be mindful that some people have come a cropper with planning and have had a bit of grief proving where their existing ground level was, doesn't sound like you'd have that issue.

We assume you're not building your garage within 2m of the boundary in which case you're limited to 2.5m.

No, but somehow I'd missed the '2.5m max height for building within 2m of boundary' when I read it. Because it's definitely within 2m (extends to the rear boundary of the property).

Bother(!). I suspect that we'll have to get planning permission, then; as the (dual) pitched roof we want takes advantage of that 4m. How terribly irritating... Thanks very much for the info tho'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back