Excel formula

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using Excel with 'today' in a cell giving todays date when the document is produced which is what i need when printing.

However, all documents are saved and when i go back to a saved document some days later the cell is of course displaying 'todays date' which is different from the date printed on the document.

My question is, can a formula be written into a cell that produces the date the document is created, but, then saves that date in the cell when the document is opened again at a later time ?

Sponsored Links
Why not just write the date into the cell when you start the sheet? e.g.
Cell A1 type 13/11/2008. Right Click cell and select Format Cells then select Date format select Type to display as required either 13/11/2008 or 13 November 2008

There is also a Date function - using "=DATE(2008,11,13)"
Both methods should create a "static date" that will not change

Other than the above I think you will have to go into Visual Basic and work on the "Creation Date" function, which may be overkill for your requirements.
http://excel.tips.net/Pages/T002367_Noting_the_Workbook_Creation_Date.html

From Contextures blog:

Instead of formulas, you can enter the date and time as values. These will NOT update automatically.

* To enter the current date in a cell as a value, press the Ctrl key and type a semi-colon (Ctrl+; )
* To enter the current time in a cell as a value, press the Ctrl key and type a colon (Ctrl+Shift+; )
* To enter both the date and time as value, enter the date (Ctrl+; ), then a space character, then the time (Ctrl+Shift+;

Sponsored Links
Back