Excel show fractions

Sponsored Links
Start Excel.

Before you type fractions in cells, pre-format the group of cells that need to be displayed as fractions. Select the cells where you want to enter fractions, and then on the Format menu, click Cells.

In the Category list, click Fraction and then, from the list on the right, select the type of fraction that you would like to display. Click OK.

To type fractions in these preformatted cells, type the numerator, then a slash "/", then the denominator. Do not type spaces.

• For example, type "1/2" to represent one-half. If you type "4/8" to represent one-half, Office Excel will reduce it to 1/2. Excel reduces all fractions to their lowest terms.

• If you need to type a whole number and a fraction in the same cell, type the whole number followed by a space, and then type the fraction (numerator, slash, denominator), for example, "2 4/9".

Bron, thanks for that, but I want it as I entered at the top of the post.

Sponsored Links
I think the only way may be to use two adjacent cells with the fractional cell being set in fonts to subscript?

Just to confirm, I'm fairly sure you can only format fractions in excel by placing them in an adjacent cell to the whole numbers.

Unfortunatly I am writting a table of contents where there is text as well.
For the time being I am using decimal. ie 4½ = 4.5 :LOL: for those that dont know

If you want it just to be shown as text then just insert symbol from the menu and select ½ from there (subset Latin-1)

:cool:

Doc Lenny said:
If you want it just to be shown as text then just insert symbol from the menu and select ½ from there (subset Latin-1)

Doc..Spot on..Thanks :D

I recall having to create a TOC in Excel for sheet names in a workbook.

Type each sheet name (or copy paste) down a column.
Selected the first name. Right click, then from context menu choose 'Hyperlink' then Click on 'Place in this Document' ... A list of worksheets will appear, choose the lnk destination... can also choose the 'landing cell'.
I was required to 'hide' the sheet tabs (Tools, Options, View), so the above TOC method was sound.

Top and bottom of each sheet - hyperlinked back to - TOC.

Sponsored Links
Back