Excessive gas usage

Oh, the boilers in the garage, is it? I suppose its been quite cold in there this winter.

Sponsored Links
Oh, the boilers in the garage, is it? I suppose its been quite cold in there this winter.

I will take a gas reading at 9pm tonight and again at 6:30am to see whats happening during the night re gas consumption..

Well, your boiler isn't using excessive amounts of gas, it's under-gassed if anything.
Depending on the calorific value of the gas, then I worked it out to just over 31kw for average calorific value.
The efficiency of your boiler, coupled with the effectiveness of your controls, plus any gas fires or cookers that may have been in use will all affect usage.
If you're cooking dinner for half an hour, and had an average gas fire on for an hour, you've burned another cubic metre at least.
Your boiler is 78% efficient. It burns 38 kW of gas to give you 30kW of heat. And it has a pipestat. Overnight usage may surprise you, but it's not as cold of late.
Everything points to correct gas charges, it's expensive to heat homes these days.

Sponsored Links
Well, your boiler isn't using excessive amounts of gas, it's under-gassed if anything.
Depending on the calorific value of the gas, then I worked it out to just over 31kw for average calorific value.
The efficiency of your boiler, coupled with the effectiveness of your controls, plus any gas fires or cookers that may have been in use will all affect usage.
If you're cooking dinner for half an hour, and had an average gas fire on for an hour, you've burned another cubic metre at least.
Your boiler is 78% efficient. It burns 38 kW of gas to give you 30kW of heat. And it has a pipestat. Overnight usage may surprise you, but it's not as cold of late.
Everything points to correct gas charges, it's expensive to heat homes these days.

Still dosen't explain why all the neighbours are paying 50% less and I consider myself to be pretty tight when it comes to using the heating..

I think you said you had one or two plumbers in to look at it.

What did they say?

heating Engineers would have been better though.

Tony

You still haven't mentioned whether you have other gas appliances, as far as I can tell......

do the neighbours keep their boilers in a cold garage?

Heating and hot water is on for an 75 mins in the morning and similar at night. Dependent on coldness heating would be on for an hour at night.
Have I got this right? The heating comes on for just 75 minutes in the morning and the same in the evening. For most of the day the heating is off.

If I right, no wonder you have high bills! The house is going though a continuous cycle of heating up from cold and then cooling down again.

Fit a programmable thermostat which will allow you to set a high temperature (20C) while you are in the house, and a lower one (say 15C) while you are out. This will reduce your gas usage.

And get your motorized valve fixed!

My last gas bill was £190 quid for 30 days :cry: mind it is on 24/7.

£600 quid for 3 months don't sound too bad in rip-off britain.
Think of the shareholders :LOL: They need love too

Heating and hot water is on for an 75 mins in the morning and similar at night. Dependent on coldness heating would be on for an hour at night.
Have I got this right? The heating comes on for just 75 minutes in the morning and the same in the evening. For most of the day the heating is off.

If I right, no wonder you have high bills! The house is going though a continuous cycle of heating up from cold and then cooling down again.

Fit a programmable thermostat which will allow you to set a high temperature (20C) while you are in the house, and a lower one (say 15C) while you are out. This will reduce your gas usage.

And get your motorized valve fixed!

My landlord/agent is the stumbling block for the motorized valve. Hopefully that will be resolved in the next few days..

At the moment I only have a dial thermostat in the hall..

Are my assumptions correct? You don't say!

My landlord/agent is the stumbling block for the motorized valve. Hopefully that will be resolved in the next few days.
Understood. :(

At the moment I only have a dial thermostat in the hall.
Depending on how long you intend staying in the house, it might be worth changing the stat yourself. Presumably you have a timer/programmer as well, to set the on/off times.

D_Hailsham";p="2698997 said:
D_Hailsham";p="2698880 said:
At the moment I only have a dial thermostat in the hall.
Depending on how long you intend staying in the house, it might be worth changing the stat yourself. Presumably you have a timer/programmer as well, to set the on/off times.

Yes I have a timer/programmer in the utility room (which backs onto the garage) and the room stat in the hall (analogue dial style)

Would be nice to have control of heating and regulated gas flow rather than on/off/cooldown/on/off/cooldown cycle...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back