excessive heat from fluorescent light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently put a 6 ft. fluorescent light (2 x 70watt) in an upstairs bedroom. It’s screwed through the plaster boards and into the joists. Above the ceiling is the loft space which has fibreglass between the joists and is boarded up so this area can be walked on.

After 4 hours I measured the temperature of the ceiling surrounding the fitting and it was almost 95 Deg C !!! There is a very large heat source where the 2 ballast units are situated. I have a thermal imaging camera and it shows worryingly high heat levels. I’m not sure what the temperature is in the loft above this area because it’s not accessible.

1. Are these sort of temperatures normal for this type of fitting ?
2. Should I be worried about these temperature levels being applied directly to the ceiling
3. Is there a risk of fire within the fitting or in the loft space above ?

Regards
Karl.

Sponsored Links
fire is around 300 to 400 degrees so the heat levels are way below this level but do seem very very high
are you sure off the levels ??

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

These are the actual temperatures. You cant touch the metal base for more than a second or so. I know its a big unit with a total of 140 watts from the 2 tubes but I didnt know it would be that hot. Its the end where the ballast/transformer units are held thats generating all of the heat.

You mention that its at around 300 - 400 deg that there could be issues but what about in the summer months. Could this be a problem where ambient temperatures are at a much high level ?

even if the heat is safe applied directly to the ceiling, can this unit run continually at these sort of levels without failure ?

for reference - this is the B&Q Fluorescent 2 x 70w 6 foot unit.

Karl.

Sponsored Links
i have some high powered led and they need large heat sinks
the actual led is the size off a postage stamp and 3mm thick and needs a heat sink around 5 to 10 times the volume and they get too hot to touch and they are only 10w

to be honest i will have to bow out here as i dont have a heat probe or fluros in confined spaces so dont know??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back