Exercising TRV's is it some thing that needs manual doing with old type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most my TRV's have electronic heads, and today at 12 noon I heard the heads excising on the cheaper valves, more expensive type set at night when boiler unlikely to be running so it will not warm up radiator when not required.

But what about the valves that still have mechanical heads, not sure if wax or liquid, should in the summer I be turning the valves to either limit and back to set temperature?

With the cheap electronic heads I get a report if there is a problem F1 sluggish, F2 too wide, F3 too small so if a valve was to become faulty either F1 or F3 would come up, what about old valves, how do you know if valve is sticking, specially in rooms seldom used, as it is those rooms that still have the old heads.

Should heads be removed and pin tested, and if so how often.

The more expensive heads (Energenie) I see nothing that reports valve sticking, since all control is through the software it may send a signal, but when I moved house they were removed and did not send a report too wide which the cheaper ones did, so not sure if it would tell me if stuck, I think not as in old house thought in error the pin was not travelling enough so put coin between pins which dislodged and jammed, and got no report.

It would seem only indication of some thing wrong is target and current temperatures not matching?

I am considering fitting 4 more TRV heads to the granny flat, these do not need to be same as house, but threads asking about other makes had zero response. Personally at £15 each for bluetooth types that seems to be best option, but should I be removing the old heads and pushing pins until they are swapped?

Sponsored Links
All our TRV's were stuck shut from lack of use when we moved into our house, I opened them all fully open and left it at that..

Most rooms are used most of the time so I thought sod replacing all of them.

Sponsored Links
I see no point heating the bedroom through the day, or the living room through the night, however there is a small problem of only one wall thermostat so there is an evening over lap, and the rooms are not switched off but turned down so a cold snap will still trigger the heating.

But the granny flat is seldom used, in the main storage, so wall thermostat turned down low, and still standard TRV's which likely don't move much. Heating in flat is only to stop anything freezing.

I have seen a TRV stuck, but in the main due to being either full open or full closed so even in the winter it does not move, but that is what will happen to valves in the flat, so how often do they need exercising, once a week seems a bit OTT to have to open and close the valves, but how often is it required?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back