Expandable foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where my copper pipework in bedroom airing cupboard goes up into the attic there is quite a gap where small section of ceiling was chased out rather than drilling four holes etc. Could I use expandable foam to block this gap or will the material react with copper? Me and the wife thought we may have heard a mouse or something in attic last night so dont want anything dropping down.

I'm guessing if the pipes ever needed to be worked on the foam could be cut away with a stanley knife or something

Sponsored Links
Ever put a match to normal builders foam?
If you did, I don't think you'd want it in your house!
On the other hand, this stuff
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63330...l;jsessionid=XWIWIOP0NSJTSCSTHZPCFFQ?ts=16942
can be used as part of a fire break - it's good for all sorts of applications.

Many would just stuff mineral wool insulation in the hole in your case if trying to avoild the bother of using traditional materials such as plaster(!).

There will be movement though, and the pipes in the loft should be insulated, so the way I normally do it is to bring the tubular insulation down into the cupbaoard, and plaster up to it.

No you can not, you must fill the hole in a way that stops a fire spreading.
Also need to make sure that whatever you use does not deteriorate the copper.
Sounds like a botch job, get someone to check the works to see if there are any issues that are likely to become costly in future.
Example: drain and refill system to get rid of acid flux residue today; £50-£80.
Some years from now corrosion can kill pump, cause leaks and half lifetime of boiler. £???, but a lot more for sure

Sponsored Links
Thanks for responses!! Ended up tucking a bit of steel wool in the gaps and then the foam pipe lagging I bought today which I will now insulate pipes with butts up to that. Already got the rat trap!! Hopefully its my imagination.

With regards fire integrity I know what you are saying but to go as far as putting fire wraps around pipework etc may be a bit OTT when its a two hundred year old house and there are no true compartmentilised rooms - but I know what you are saying about fire safety and appreciate that. As for a bodged job yes it was.....there were threads on it but in the end CORGI did not want to know, as it was not about Gas safety even though their technical helpline after hearing what I had to say felt an inspection would be neccessary.

The pipework in attic space is mainly plastic, and then drops through into copper, or copper itself which is unfortunately 10mm stuff. This was all clipped into beams etc without being insulated. Is there something I can do without unclipping all this (I always worry I will spring a leak) that I can try and insulate it. Would just laying some sort of insulation material over the runs, at least protect it somewhat....I know its not ideal....

Steel wool + copper = electrolytic (galvanic) corrosion especially if one of the pipes is the cold main where condensation will form on the surface.

Steel wool can also be flammable. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back