Expanding foam to seal UPVC windows or patio doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to fit some UPVC French doors.

The rather vague instructions say that "expanding foam should be used in accordance with the instructions". It does not say if you should or should not use it.

Some UPVC window manufacturers tell you NOT to use it.

Mine, bought from Homebase, does not say anything at all.

Would most say its better to use it or not to?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I have used it successfully on door and window frames, it forms a draught-proof seal and also sets and holds the frame in place firmly. However it needs to be protected from the weather, both because sunlight breaks it down, and I think it can get sodden with rain. You can use a silicon bead on the outside, or a wooden batten to match wooden frames or subframes. I expect you already know how sticky it is and how to inject it without sticky gobbets getting on the floor, walls and yourself.

Look for the drainage channels on your doors so you don't interfere with free draining.

Yes use foam, Insulates and fixes the frame.
Assuming your going to use a cheap diy can and not a pro foam gun then masking tape everything first! Those diy cans are pretty uncontrollable.

and I think it can get sodden with rain.

I must admit I've never been clear whether the common types of expanding foam are closed cell (waterproof) or open cell (not waterproof). Perhaps someone who knows can confirm.
Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
As far as I know from a bit of research in the past the single part types ie the squirty tins are all open cell. To get the closed cell type you need the 2 pack tins which you mix yourself and pour so not practical for filling gaps etc. Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back