Expanding foam used on pipework under sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_5969.JPG
View attachment 113868
IMG_5968.JPG
Hello,

We have just had a new kitchen fitted and some of the pipework under the sink is... questionable to say the least.

I noticed the expanding foam being used and was not happy, but I have been told by the installers that it is perfectly safe and normal to have this on the pipe because no water is going down it at that point, as it is a waste pipe with water flowing downwards, and they can't unscrew the cap as it was glued on.

I have been told that the pipe in question is just a waste pipe, so should be fine, but I'm not so sure.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Sponsored Links
It is part of the waste pipework - with an AAV at the top of the stub. A cowboy method of blocking off the redundant branch using expanding foam. The foam may have expanded back into the 'T' and blocked off the AAV. The pipe should be cut out and remade with the AAV at the height it is currently.

There is also a missing retaining ring on the sink trap - where the blue plug is visible there should be a white retaining ring screwed on the the spigot.

Thank you very much for your reply. That's quite alarming! Not good at all.

Are these retaining rings easily available? Is it to cap it off at the top? I want to get one right away.

Also, I was told earlier that the waste pipe and the bits coming off it including the expanding foam one are glued together! They do seem very solid and don't seem to budge.

Are we at risk of water leaking or flooding out if we run the tap or use the washing machine?

there's no short term risk but over time the pipes may become blocked as material builds up.

Sponsored Links
They've been lazy but it's probably OK to use it.

Test with a little water down it, then a full sinkfull.

Can't see the w/m connection so no comment on that.

Am I seeing correctly that the top of the pipe with the 45 degree bend doesn't go anywhere? In which case it all probably fine.

Thank you all for the advice. It's reassuring to know we are not in any danger as such yet, and will endevour to get this rectified A.S.A.P.

A follow on question to newboy's reply - what is a retaining ring? Are they easy to buy as a spare? Is it just a cap to cover the blue bit? I really would apprecite some pointers with this.

It is part of the waste pipework - with an AAV at the top of the stub. A cowboy method of blocking off the redundant branch using expanding foam. The foam may have expanded back into the 'T' and blocked off the AAV. The pipe should be cut out and remade with the AAV at the height it is currently.

There is also a missing retaining ring on the sink trap - where the blue plug is visible there should be a white retaining ring screwed on the the spigot.

upload_2017-2-10_21-2-56.png

It's the ring circled in the picture - a local plumbers merchant might be able to help with a spare

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-10_21-2-24.png
    upload_2017-2-10_21-2-24.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 146

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back