Expansion tank in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just a little information please. British Gas came today to do some work and left the loft space open, so i went up to close it and noticed that he had messed about with the little expansion tank , and I noticed that there isn't much water in there ( below the ball valve) and also that there isn't anything covering it - ie no lid or anything - just abit of insulation around it. Can someone tell me if that sounds like a normal tank or do I have to call back British Gas to put it right. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Though I personally would prefer a bit more, technically, one inch is enough.
Covering the tank would not hurt, but millions are left open and survive.

did you not notice the guy sneaking out with a pocket full of water and a lid under his arm

Sponsored Links
Come on - I am asking a serious question here!! Are you making fun of me?!!

Stealing water is a serious issue! Plumbers get away with it all the time and it needs to be stamped out. Plumbers sometimes drain whole systems!

I noticed that there isn't much water in there (below the ball valve)
The level should be about 1-2" above the pipe connected to the bottom of the tank when the heating water is cold (it rises up when the water heats up due to expansion).

If the level is completely below the ball valve (ball not floating on the water) then either the water supply to the tank has been turned off or the valve is stuck closed. You should be able to press down on the ball to let water in and it will rise up again when you take your hand off, stopping the water flow.

there isn't anything covering it - ie no lid or anything - just abit of insulation around it.
A lid is more important for the cold water tank as it stops nasties getting into the tank, but it's still a good idea. You can buy lids and tank insulation kits from most plumbers merchants.

Well said D- Hailsham. Strange that years ago, BG used to refuse to " adopt" systems with incorrect installs like that , and 2 into 1 overflows for example :confused: I never have and never will be Corgi`ed. Don`t even need to now. Man of liesure in a " better part" of Hailsham :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back