Expansion Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there wonder if anyone could help. I have been getting alot of air in my heating system, have to bleed radiators very often, 3 times a week. I have had a look around how the system works through posts on here, its a gravity fed system. I have noticed a problem in the loft with the expansion tank (smaller one of the 2) and it doest seem to be filling up, the ballcock doesn't allow water in at all. Could this be causing me the problems with the air in heating system?. Im not a plumber or boiler expert, just a general bloke trying to fix stuff myself :). So any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon.

Sponsored Links
You need water in the expansion tank to replace any that may have leaked from the heating water circuit. Otherwise, as the water level drops, the pump will start drawing air into the system.
Sort out the ballcock valve and adjust to about 1/3 full in the expansion tank.
Temporarily you could manually top up the expansion tank.
If you still have to keep bleeding the radiators, then you need to find a source of a leak or air entry.

Sponsored Links
Fantastic thankyou you so much for your speedy reply. Another thing is there a special type of ball cock i need. I'm all new to this sorry to sound thick :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back