Hot water in expansion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -

Please please help because it it a bit of a worry !!

We have a combi (open system) and the expansion tank in the loft is hot & i mean hot !!

Should the expansion tank contain such hot water ??

If not - what could the problem be ??

thanks

Sponsored Links
could be pumping over. check your pump speed, could also be a blockage but check pump speed first and turn down if required..

Thanks very much for the advice.

I will have a play with the pump speed and see what happens.

Only think that seems to confuse me is that :

1. this situation occurs even when central heating is off & i am just using boiler for hot water (Worcester Heat Slave open vent Combi).

2. the water is not pumped to the header tank - the header tank merely exists as an expansion vessel for central heating system.

The boiler is about 30 years old - do you think it is worth my while desludging the system ??

I forgot to add :

Central heating works fine, everything works OK its just that expansion vent pipe coming out of boiler is very hot and header tank is full of hot & steamy water which i am sure is not normal

Sponsored Links
duncwilson said:
1. this situation occurs even when central heating is off & i am just using boiler for hot water (Worcester Heat Slave open vent Combi).

The boiler is about 30 years old - do you think it is worth my while desludging the system ??

Would this be an oil combi?

when you are demanding HW, the boiler may be overheating, this could be a blockage, and it could be a faulty thermostat. Can you control the boiler in HW mode by altering the thermostat?

Hi oilman - a friend in need is a friend indeed - a friend who knows about plumbing is better !

Yes it is an oil boiler

I can alter the temperature of the hot water with the dial on the front of the boiler and this works fine - when i turn it up the burner starts, when i turn it down the burner stops.

Question for you - the vent pipe into the header tank is under the water in the header tank - should it be above ??? Could this be the problem ?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back