Expansion tank!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Myson Velaire oil boiler which appears to be working fine, as does the heating, however, water from the expansion tank is disappearing at a rate of a tank every 2 days. Normally the water in the tank is 'topped up' once a year, now I am topping it up every other day. I have checked for leaks in the rads, there is no sign of water or damp in the house, I am at a loss as to why my system is using so much water. The Grundfoss pump was replaced 2 months ago, 3 rads were taken off when we redecorated. Apart from air in the system, which was dealt with, all appeared to be OK. I would appreciate any ideas or advice on this.

Sponsored Links
How old is your HW cylinder? There could be a leak in the coil which will allow water out of the header tank and into the HW supply which then gets rid of it through the taps. I take it it is a manual top up rather than a ballcock .

If you have an indirect cylinder and your f&e tank is higher than your cold feed tank it may be that the heat exchanger coil is leaking in the cylinder and you are drawing it off before it overflows. Wonder why you are manually filling your f&e tank?...does it not have a ballvalve?. Try not drawing any hot water and seeing if the level of your cold water storage tank is rising as your f&e tank level is falling. Mind you if you have chemicals in your header tank I would be tempted not to use the hot water at all until you got it sorted!

Sponsored Links
its easy to type fast, at my fastest i was clocked at 207 words/ minute, trouble is they look like

jifji opgrug ig ioggft 9rugt9bvvjkfiogjigfioghgrthioguierioioiogbnbmvkogjugh o h hhyghioaj fioghfh ui ho hiojogjgjioj ffi iojgjgiohgfuih fnffjifjioj hvuifio hjfihjfioj viofio hfgftghjihuvryur

oilman said:
How old is your HW cylinder? There could be a leak in the coil which will allow water out of the header tank and into the HW supply which then gets rid of it through the taps. I take it it is a manual top up rather than a ballcock .

Thanks for your prompt response. My cylinder was replaced 2 years ago, I have a manual top up tank. When my house was renovated the plumber told me I couldn't have a direct water feed to the tank. If there is a leak in the coil can this be 'fixed' without having to replace the HW cylinder?

No it's a replacement cylinder I'm afraid. It can only get worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back