Hot water into the expansion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im new here so please go easy on me. I have an Open vented system but without the header tank for the HW.

Boiler is a Glowworm 45-60
Pump is a Myson SD53

Over the last few days I have had a leak from the expansion tank, after draining the system enough to remove the water from the expansion tank, we sealed the joint.

Refilled the tank with the cold water, and thought id need to bleed the rad's before turning on the boiler.. nothing came out or not much at all, not what i was expecting.. I thought id have to bleed all the Rad's since we drained some of the water from the boiler... when turned on boiler for both CH and HW i could hear hot water running through the vent pipe into the expansion tank. Guessing the seal had gone around the overflow pipe due to the heat of the water in the expansion tank.

The pump was set to 2, tried it on 3 same happened, so turned down to 1. All seems OK.

Rad's (CH) are usually HOT, HW is usually HOT (Dont actually use that much hot water). Boiler is burning well and gets HOT!

Does anyone know why this could be happening? and why turning the pump down to 1 would resolve it? thought faster the setting would be better.

Upon further investigation it appears the water only goes into the Expansion tank if both HW and CH are on together, if just have CH on, it appears to be fine, even on number 2. (as i said i dont use much Hot Water)

Over the last couple of months, Ive not had to bleed any of the Rad's.
Thanks in advance and if you need more information let me know.

Sponsored Links
Not sure which pipe the pump is on, but I do know its in the loft, just above the expansion pipe, located just under the 2 values for HW or CH.

So I guess its on the pipe just before the Hot Water Tank, and before the water is pumped around the CH.

Sorry if that doenst help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back