Expansion Valve dischargin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pressure relief valve (expansion valve) (twist top type) sometimes discharges water intermittently.

The expansion vessel is to to correct pressure charge. So why this?

The pressure reducing valve has been tested to be ok as max bar water pressure from sink tap is 3.5 bar , and sometimes not even that, so it is working properley.

Is the valve istself just faulty? How can i check this for sure and remedy it? Can I clean it up??

Curious as it is annoying and wasting water and I am on a water meter here.

Any ideas

Sponsored Links
Kane: if the pressure reducing valve is fine and the discharge is all the time and not just when heated (charge pressure is OK as you said) then it must be the pressure relief valve is not shutting off properley/not seating correctly. Maybe grit in it (although the line strainer should have dealt with this).

Don't know what else it could be... but you need to be G3 qualified to be able to legally change these parts ... so best calling a plumber who is qualified in unvented hot water to do it for you

There is probably no expansion space left. You haven't said much about your system, so you won't get much advice as to what to do.

Sponsored Links
could be caused by mixer taps with no check valves fitted.or taps mixing hot water with unbalanced cold water which could result in cylinder back pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back