Expansion vessel position.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just had a new boiler fitted (WB 24RI), and the gas installer positioned the expansion vessel on the flow just before the pump. The MI state that it should be on the return. It would be a trivial job to change this (once the weather is more clement!) but is it necessary, or better to just leave it as it is?

Sponsored Links
I would seriously question the quality of the rest of the work of this clown.

Thanks... In every other respect it seems good: tee to vessel runs down from flow, and is nice and close to both boiler and pump.

I think I'll leave it be for now - I'll be re-siting the valve in the spring as part of having the towel warmer on the primary circuit any way, so could fix it at the same time.

Sponsored Links

Mmm - have already fixed the room stat wiring and identified a schoolboy error with the order of the returns causing reverse circulation when both HW + CH are calling at the same time... no cash has changed hands yet!

How many clown like RGI`s actually read the MI`s :LOL: Speaking as a fully paid up non gas clown , I thought the positioning of vessel was the norm - but then I don`t fit boilers so no need to read MI`s and no need to work either :mrgreen:

The EV should be connected to the system at a point close to the inlet side of the pump to maintain positive pressure through out the system.
It does not matter whether it is on the flow or return.

Allways fit mine on th return,dont likes valves restricting volume,on the return you should always have an open circuit,IMO

Allways fit mine on th return,dont likes valves restricting volume,on the return you should always have an open circuit,IMO

Sorry I don`t get you there. Water can expand and contract back through the heat exchanger so whats the difference???.
Regards
spraggo

there are two reasons why it should be on the return, the diaphragm will last longer at lower temperatures and if its fitted on the flow the pressure from the pump will pressurise the expansion vessel and reduce its capacity for the expanding water,

and a very merry christmas to all :D

there are two reasons why it should be on the return, the diaphragm will last longer at lower temperatures and if its fitted on the flow the pressure from the pump will pressurise the expansion vessel and reduce its capacity for the expanding water,

and a very merry christmas to all :D

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you piccasso, but I would like to point out that I suggested that the EV be fitted BEFORE the pump inlet, also that the EV is unlikely to get that hot as the water does not actually flow through it. ;) ;)

It does not matter whether it is on the flow or return.

Hi spraggo you were right with the ex vessel on the pump inlet but the above caught my eye ;) care to comment ?

Sorry I don`t get you there. Water can expand and contract back through the heat exchanger so whats the difference???.
Regards
spraggo
Hope this answers your query?
spraggo

Thanks all for your replies. I'm happy that the EV is as close to the pump inlet as it practically could be, and no valves or anything between the boiler flow and the EV (it's a conventional boiler). The EV does not get hot either.

I would be interested to know why the MI favour the return side though. Oh well....

Merry Christmas to you all!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back