Expansion vessel problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon guy's. Before i contact anyone to come round & fix the problem, I would like to run it past you guys. Got a vaillant ecoTEC plus 831(in loft). It's about 13 years old. Lost pressure on Sunday i refilled it but overnight it done it again & this time i noticed water had come out of the copper pipe at the side of the house.
After googling problem, I checked expansion vessel & water came out. This i have read means it needs replacing. Also read after PRV operates, it might not work properly again. Would i be wise to have that replaced at the same time?
Does it sound like the issue or could it be anything else?

Another thing i noticed today when I had to refill it. I got my wife to run hot tap in kitchen & the pressure gauge on boiler jumped from about 11 o'clock position (grey) to 2 o'clock position (red) Not noticed this happening before, could i have more problems.
Sorry for rambling on a bit. Regards Doug

Sponsored Links
The EV likely needs replacing ,but may just need re charging.
The PRV , once it has lifted can sometimes not fully re seat, needs checking out.
If your boiler pressure reaches around 3 bar when heating ,the prv will lift to release pressure ,as the EV is not accommodating the expansion.

The EV likely needs replacing ,but may just need re charging.
The PRV , once it has lifted can sometimes not fully re seat, needs checking out.
If your boiler pressure reaches around 3 bar when heating ,the prv will lift to release pressure ,as the EV is not accommodating the expansion.
Cheers for the reply terryplumb. I assumed if water was coming out of the EV via the valve connection, it couldn't be recharged. Have i got that right

Sponsored Links
If there's water from the connection used to pump up the vessel, it means the diaphragm is punctured, and the whole vessel needs replacing. You could leave it in situ and fit a new external EV on the return pipe close to the boiler if space permits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back