exposed extension insulation!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all was lookin for a little info. Long story short landlord building extension over last couple of years and has been left for the last 18 months with no roof and the cavity and insulation exposed to the elements!

Should the insulation be changed? And wouldn't it cause damp issues when the build is complete? The roof is being put on finally in the next few days and was wondering if I should voice my concerns over the insulation being exposed to all kinds of weather for the last 18 months???

Sponsored Links
Depends on the insulation. Is it rigid foam, orange in colour with a foil on one face? Or is it more of a mineral wool type that fills the cavity?

If you pull a bit of insulation out of the top of the cavity, does it feel wet/heavy?

It's the wool kind, comes in a roll! If you touch the top it feels quite dry maybe a little damp! funnily considering the weather we have had, its more inside in worried about because inside the actual extension is like a swimming pool!! On the inside walls which are block it looks like the wet is rising and has gone a slight green colour!

When I say I'm worried about inside I mean the cavity! It's a two storey extension so the inside goes quite deep!

Sponsored Links
Yes we understand, are there weepholes in the wall? If so any rain can drain out anyway.

If its the right sort of insulation (crown dritherm) then it won't be a problem. Maybe pull a bit out and take a photy for us.

It is drytherm earth wool! Iv seen the builder today and mentioned the insulation and he said they goin to take out the top layer and replace it so all good :D, the trusses have been delivered today too so hopefully will finally have a roof! Just got to dry out the swimming pool lol

Thanks a lot for replying and for your help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back