"Exposed" phone cable near base of telephone pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year my phone cable was accidentally cut by the council when carrying out some strimming, BT eventually mended the break four days later.

The cable was cut because it no longer goes underneath the metal trunking where the cable exits the ground and runs up the side of the pole - the bottom few feet of the cable are very exposed. Naturally I can't do anything about it as it would be classed as "tampering" (so I can't just nail some metal trunking onto the pole). This means that if the cable isn't properly covered it will probably be cut again in a few months.

I contacted my telephone (and Broadband) provider to see if they could request that BT Openreach affix some good metal trunking over the exposed black cable - their response was that BT won't pre-emptively "fix" an issue that has not yet happened, they'll only fix a fault when it occurs ............ are they serious? Isn't prevention better than a cure?

Anyhow, my ISPs advice is to contact the council to see if they can take care when they next strim around the pole.

This is a joke, right? I mean, it's laughable.

Will BT seriously not take a few minutes to put a bit of metal trunking around a bit of their own cable?

Does my ISP really think that the "solution" is to ask the council to take care when cutting around that pole?

My mind is well and truly boggled ...........

Perhaps I should carry out a "guerilla repair" when it's dark, but then the people who live opposite the pole might report my suspicious behaviour!

Sponsored Links
walk round the block, on the way, put on a yellow jacket, and a woolly hat, and nobody will notice you

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back