Moving external telephone cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our phone line comes from a BT telephone pole via an ariel wire to a box on by the guttering.
A cable runs from that box down the wall to ground level where it comes through the wall to the master socket.

I want to re run the cable from the box to the master socket. I simply want to run it along a route that means it will be less unsightly when i repaint the house (plan to hide behind the downpipe)

Am I allowed to do this? Surely it cant be that hard but because it is before the master socket does that mean im not allowed to do it? Would I have to pay lots of money for BT to move it, would they even do that seen as its purely for aesthetic reasons.
If it is possible as a simple DIY job is the necessary cable available? I can only find the normal flat cable for running internal phone lines in our local shop.

Thanks for advice

chris

Sponsored Links
No you are not allowed to anything with the wire that belongs to BT. BT are responsible for the wiring from the street to the master socket. If you interfere with it and cause a fault you risk being charged a hefty bill for putting it right.

in theory you arnt allowed to re route this but officially you would be charged at least £150 plus , get some offical cable in either black , brown or white and no one will be any the wiser . :LOL:

Would it be cheaper if I run the cable myself and ask them simply to terminate the ends?
I know that teechnically it is not allowed BUT its surely not that hard and not much can go wrong. Ive terminated phone sockets myself and network cable runs before and that always goes fine. Last year I replaced the master socket and nothing broke down so seems like its prob not a stupid idea. Have got proper black cable from ebay.

Sponsored Links
If there is enough slack in the existing cable to allow you to move it without having to replace or lengthen the cable then they are hardly going to know the difference.

Just make a good job of it.

The other option is for the cable to break in high winds & when the guy comes to replace it, simply offer a small incentive to put it where you would prefer it.
(dont mention the change on the phone).

I did wonder wether "vandalism" to my phone cable at ground level would warrent a free replacement. The new route is not much different just 4 ft left to go behind the guttering downpipe.

Ill have a think about the best option, perhaps opening up the junction box on the top of the house to see what the terminals are like is the first move.

Thanks

If it is vandalised on your property you will be charged for it by openreach ...it is quite simple to do just get some cable, gel connectors and clips all available on ebay and connect the same two wires in the external connection box to the terminals on the master socket

chop the entire pole down, that way all the neighbours are off & they will do it same day :D

My drop cable is the old figure 8 grey stuff, its nicked here & there making some bad bits that must be affecting the line. I have high numbers in some broadband tests. As it also passes through a tree it should be no problem for mine to snap :D

As an openreach engineer if the tree is on your property , you would now be charged for any damage the tree causes to the wire as it is your responsibility to cut the tree and keep it off the wire !!!!!

thanks for all your help.
I think this is a DIY job, there's only two wires so it really cant be that hard!
Think ill risk it!

Thanks for all your help, especially with recommending gel grips, ive never seen those beofre, they look perfect.

Thank you all

chris

As an openreach engineer if the tree is on your property , you would now be charged for any damage the tree causes to the wire as it is your responsibility to cut the tree and keep it off the wire !!!!!
Tree is not on my property and openreach engineers are still threading cables through it on installs. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back