Can I replace this telephone cabling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just built a new porch on our house, and in the process had to reroute some of the original telephone cabling. What's leftover is now looking a bit manky and I would like to replace it if possible, though Im aware you're not supposed to mess with the master socket in the house... :rolleyes:

As it happens I dont actually use this phone line, as its the main BT socket and I'm currently with Virgin. However I dont want to just rip it out for obvious reasons.

So currently the line comes into the house through the wall and terminates in this brown box:
View media item 60754 View media item 60753 View media item 60756
It then carries on into this small white box:
View media item 60755
Then from there on to the standard BT phone socket.

Ideally I'd like to replace the brown box and the length of cable that joins it to the white box, as both are caked in old plaster. Can I do this and if so are there any handy guides out there with wiring instructions? Do I even need these 2 boxes or can I just fit a small connector and have the cabling run directly into the phone socket?

I had assumed BT would charge me to make good this cabling...

Sponsored Links
So are the 2 boxes in the photos just connectors? I'd need to fit something similar in that case as otherwise I'll end up with an NTE 5 socket mounted near the ceiling, which will look a bit odd...

Yes, they're just junction boxes. The white one probably has Krone terminals (IDC - shove the wire into the metal 'V').

Sponsored Links
If you're not actually using the line then just reterminate in a new box, BT80A, up in the corner and forget about any internal cabling.

I'm a little confused with the wiring, having cracked open the white box (which I believe is a BT77A). The brown box takes 3 cables from the main BT bundle - white, orange and green, which are then joined to orange, blue and green cables respectively, and run down to the BT77A. At the BT77A, the green cable is not connected to anything, and the orange and blue cables are joined to white with blue stripes and blue with white stripes respectively. So, questions:

1. Presumably the BT77A will do the job of a BT80A just as well? If so, what is the brown box for?
2. Is the green cable actually supposed to be connected to something?
3. From reading up online it seems the only cables I really need from the main BT bundle are orange and white, which I can just terminate into a BT77A/80A for the time being, and eventually extend on to a NTE5 socket (pins 2 & 5 respectively), correct?

1. Yes. Cable has been extended at some time so you have more junction boxes than youn need.
2. No, not needed.
3. Yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back