Exposed thermostatic shower mixer advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon lads,

I'm looking at fitting a thermostatic mixer in place of the standard mixer currently in my shower enclosure.

Both are surface mounted - The problem I'm having is how the old unit is connected up.

I've broken the tiles away to expose the copper feed pipe coming up into a threaded 90 degree bend which is secured to the brickwork. From this comes a short threaded stainless section which is screwed straight into the back of the mixer.

There are no flat spots on the short stainless threaded section(s) to attempt to turn it in any direction. Even if I could turn it surely it would be loosening off one end (ie the 90 degree connector) but tightening up on the other end (the mixer)

The new mixer comes with 2 dogleg stainless sections that allows adjustment of the spacing between the outlets and then the new mixer bolts straight upto these via a compression nut on the back.

I just can't figure out how to undo the old setup! I can only think it's been screwed together and then the 90 degree joint to feed pipe soldered up later in the wall :(

Grinder time?

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
Was just thinking the same on reading it back :) Will get to my other pc and try and get some sorted.

Cheers

DSC01330.jpg

:)

Sponsored Links
what is under the brass bend fitting ? is it soldered or compression joint.

i would just cut the pipes and fit new fittings etc, them ones are not very useable.

Yup I think so too - The new stainless dogleg sections that would screw into the 90 degree bend look like they are a slightly different diameter as well. Not being clued up on my sizes is there a standard size for those or has a change occured. The thread pitch looks the same but the new ones look a slightly smaller diameter.

Usually 1/2" bsp for shower connections.
I would just unscrew the old ones and ptfe the new tails in and test.
Especially if they are centred at the right place.

Pete

I would just unscrew the old ones and ptfe the new tails in and test.

I would if I could figure out how to! :)

Yup thermostatic controlled bar - the dogleg (or 's' connectors are they called) connectors are 2 different sizes at thr end - larger for going into the mixer bar and smaller for going into the 90 degree elbow.

Ideally I would like to test it out on the current 90 degree elbows to see if there are any problems with pressure causing it not to be able to mix properly or keep the correct temperature.

Thanks for your input lads :D

Well to get a decent temperature with the current standard mixer you need to whack the hot and cold on quite a way and then drop the hot down to get it to a nice temperature - problem after a while is the hot flow seems to drop resulting in the pipework going into a 'hammering' session. To cure it the hot just needs to be tweaked up a bit and the cold to match then it will be fine.

I was'nt sure how the thermo mixer would cope with this.

what is your hot and cold supplied by combi, gravity etc ?
any altering in temp etc a thermostatic will compensate this as a standard mixer won't.

It's a combi living in the kitchen downstairs. If it were my place I'd rip everything out and start again but as it's rented I don't want to pour the earth into the house (that's why it's getting a nice bargain LIDL £14.99 thermostatic mixer :D )

EDIT: found a pic of the dog legs and mixer

Mixer.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back