ext HD, don't laugh (too much)

B

breezer

I had been wanting to get an external HD for some time for backing up all my pictures, important stuff (to me) etc.
I was in Maplin yesterday and saw a maxtor 250GB for £39.00

came home plugged it in all working, trnsfered ALL my important stuff, thought transfering was qucker than some memory sticks i have.
Checked Ext HD yes everything I want backed upo really is there, thought it must be about 1/4 full.

checked on properties and used space is 6Gb

yep just a mere 6gb,

oh well.

Sponsored Links
I'd be more concerned about having a Maxtor HDD, IMHO they're cr*p.

3 year gtee, (against what i dont know) £39, suits me though

Worthless though if it goes wrong. FWIW I would always plump for a Seagate.

Sponsored Links
but following that logic, any HD is useless if / when it gives up

Well, ok, fair enough. but having managed a rollout of 60,000 workstations, all the ones that came back were equipped with maxtor HDD's.

Out of 60000, how many Maxtor and Seagate issues and how many Maxtor returns?

trnsfered ALL my important stuff
Backed up (i.e. copied), or transferred? :eek:

If the latter then you've just placed all of your "important stuff" on something that's more easily nicked, or knocked over by the cat, and is no less likely to fail than the drive inside your computer.

£39 might seem cheap, but for adding a new risk it seems a high price to pay.

Maxtor, Fujitsu, Seagate, IBM.

They all have bad batches of drives & all have had bad names for reliability.

So the OP is just as likely to have a failure on any of the drive manufacturers.

I remember Seagates bad batches, they are referred to as "Seagrate" instead :D
Fujitsu had a really bad batch a few years back & the IBM "deskstar" range is referred to as the "Deathstar" instead due to its failures (mainly because people use them in servers when they shouldn't be).

Many, many people have used Maxtor drives and that have lasted years & years. I think that £39 is a good price for an external drive.

BTW Breezer, if it was only that much you would be better off making a few DVD's with your important stuff on. But then they can fail too, although less likely than a mechanical drive.

Out of 60000, how many Maxtor and Seagate issues and how many Maxtor returns?

Good question, forgive me if my memory is not too accurate, but around 300 - 400 workstations were returned, All were equipped with Maxtor HDDs. The estate basically consisted of Maxtor / Seagate / Western Digital.

WRT to Mattylads post, yep. I agree. (although the maxtors went across batches)

Sponsored Links
Back