CEMENT & TOPSOIL MIX PLEASE DONT LAUGH BUT IS THIS OK ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before you all start, last week I purchased a bag of cement and a bag of sand, they had no orange sand only grit sand and said it would be ok only its darker. I thought it would be better for my little cobbled area which I am doing in the garden and the darker mix would be more authentic. Yesterday I ran out of sand so back to the merchants and bought another bag of grit sand. I got home and done my 3 parts sand bit and 1 part cement with a dash of washing up liquid. I noticed the sand was really dark but thought ah well it supposed to be darker this must really be from the pits. I added my water and began to mix. This time I noticed a smell and it smelt like WET SOIL. I double checked the bag of sand (which are not marked just have the firms name on) and felt and felt and felt. I thought this is top soil. So in some of my bigger gaps I squashed in the mix, I thought if it dosnt take then can just take it up. But today I noticed it seems to have set. will this be ok. please dont mock. will look forward to your answers. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Some jobs have had and do use a soil and concrete mix but for your cobble sets I am not so sure if it will be any good, eventually it will break down and be useless, the washing up liquid is a definite no no as well and it is now against building regs to add washing up liquid to a mix as it rots the cement, although I realise this may not be a construction issue for you.

Best bet though is to get proper building sand for your cement mix!

My thanks to Woodster66 for the reply, couldnt get back sooner as have been doing my pointing with the proper mix this time, just too impatient on the night and too late to buy sand. The soil mix has stayed fine and its only a little amount been done so have carried on with correct mixture now but thanks again for the response. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back